Thursday, May 26, 2005

The Not So Runaway Jury


I love John Grisham books. They are so enthralling and always soooo much better than the movie. I remember seeing The Firm when I was in high school, and it was one of the first "read the book and then saw the movie" experiences for me. It was so disappointing. I like the movie now, just not when I compare it to the book. It was the same for all of the other books by him that they turned into a movie, the last one being The Runaway Jury. The book, for those who have not yet savored it, is about the jury on a tobacco case. The movie was about a jury on a firearms case. Again, the book was better, but I digress.

So, Monday morning this week was very different than most Monday mornings. I was scheduled to appear for Jury Duty. I have done this one before, on which I spent a couple of hours there in the morning, only to be asked to return the next morning, and then not be chosen. This past Monday was very different, however. There were about 300+ of us that showed up for court, and with several cases going on, about 150 of us were chosen to go on to the next phase of jury selection, with the rest of the privileged ones sent home with the thanks of the Court.

My name was called out with the first 60 jurors chosen for a Capital Murder case. The prosecution and the defense asked questions for hours, took a break for lunch, and then asked more questions. I was not expecting to be chosen at all, but sure enough, I heard my name called at around 4:15pm, after a long day of sitting. We were asked to come back the next day, and the trial would begin.

The trial was a learning experience, to say the least. I have now had the responsibilty of deciding a man's fate- is he innocent, and should be set free, or is he guilty, to spend the rest of his young life behind bars? I have listened to witnesses, seen their bravery as they looked their (attempted) murderer in the eye. I have seen the grief of a parent trying to understand how a "monster" could take away their baby. I have seen the autopsy and crime scene photos of the evil and carnage that a human can inflict on another human being. I have seen the waste of a life, a life that did not seem to have any regrets for the unfortunate actions that occurred one year ago. I have seen those who occupy professions that I do not envy at all, professions glamorized by my favorite TV shows- CSI and Law and Order, but all to real. The detectives, the Medical Examiners, the prosecution, the Judge. They have such a difficult and real job. Too much reality for me.

As I received hugs, tears, handshakes and thanks from the victim's families for sending away the person that inflicted this evil, they are the ones that should be receiving thanks. Thank you for reminding me how precious life is, and how much I have to be thankful for. My life will go on, albeit never the same from this experience. I hope theirs will too.

posted by Amstaff Mom | 12:15 PM




2 Comments:

Blogger chirky said...

wow. that's all i have to say. wow.

i have never been to jury duty, and honestly, i hope that i never have to go, even though it is an American privilege.

Good for you!

11:29 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

It was definitely a learning experience, but I don't know that I would wish it on anyone. At least not this particular case. Much thanks to the prosecution though, for omitting the more gruesome photos from jury review. It would have freaked me out much more than that NG spider did you, I'm afraid.

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home