Saturday, May 21, 2005

Proud to be an Amstaff Mom



The inspiration for my new alias Posted by Hello

Here is my Amstaff. Currently she is sleeping on approximately 5 blankets and two large doggy pillows. I am a dog lover, of any size and shape. I grew up w/ dogs under the weight of 10 pounds and now have a 55 pound walking muscle. When I was a kiddo, the elementary school that I attended was located next door to a Dallas Public Library branch. Once a week was library day, where we would take a short walk over, return our books and peruse the aisles for the next great finds. My fourth grade year, I repeatedly checked out the AKC Manual of Dog Breeds, a maroon colored, dictionary-sized description of every dog breed belonging to the AKC. I bet I checked this book out 10 times, memorizing details of dog breeds and the black and white photos that accompanied them. (Yes I was, and still am an avid reader) This was a great marriage of two of my favorite things-dogs and books. (and doorbells and sleigh rides and schnitzel w/noodles-Sound of Music moment anyone?)

My hubby and his dad always wanted this breed of dog and both of them have studied and read every dog book possible on the American Staffordshire Terrier. This breed is one of the most loyal, heroic, and good-natured dogs around, and has suffered greatly all in the name of sensationalism and bad reporting. They are used as therapy dogs, assistance dogs, and many gave their lives willingly on the battlefield, protecting and serving their fellow soldiers. They are terriers, so they are fearless and spunky. They don't always get along w/ other dogs (although many of them do) so when they do, you will always hear about it as "Breaking News" on your local channel. The "problem" with this breed is that is fiercely LOYAL to its owner. Not fierce, just loyal. If the owner happens to twist this loyalty into something evil, then yes, this breed is capable of bringing about great harm. You will hear about every one of these unfortunate instances. This breed, and its cousin, the pit bull, are not naturally aggressive to humans AT ALL. Any aggressive tendencies would be against another aggressive dog, but never a human, unless trained to do so. My Amstaff, as do most, gets along famously with other dogs and breeds, playing chase, stick, and tug-of-war, of which she usually is proclaimed the winner. Contrary to popular belief, she does not have "locking jaws" either, another expression of ignorance.

So why am I ranting and raving on only my second day of re-entering the blogosphere? It is because I am tired of having to defend my loyal pooch to the insurance companies, the cities, and even the states that have deemed this breed and others to be unworthy of existence, and therefore banned. A few years ago, the city of Plano, TX decided that this breed, along with other "aggressive breeds" such as German Shepherds, Doberman Pinschers, Rottweilers, etc. needed to be banned. Thankfully, they first conducted a study to see which breed has caused the most dog bites in the city. Hmmm, any guesses? It was the Golden Retriever folks. Thankfully, this ban was reconsidered after that. There are many irresponsible owners, and breeders who care only about money and not the breed who cause the rest of the owners and dogs to suffer. Please blame them whenever you hear the news-making stories. You won't hear the countless stories of everyday loyal, loving dogs of this same breed.

Thank you for listening.

Proud to be an Amstaff Mom

posted by Amstaff Mom | 10:28 AM




6 Comments:

Blogger Norma said...

Sorry you love this dog so much. As a former veterinary librarian, I've just seen too much about this breed to think you, your family and neighbors are safe. And yes, you will constantly have to defend your choice of a pet.

All dogs will bite; and some more than others, whether Chihuahua or Pit Bull. But aggression is bred into certain lines and your love and caring will not undo that.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Thank you for commenting on my blog and for your concern.
The man we purchased our pooch from has been breeding them for 51 years. I do not believe that aggression has been bred in this dog. I do believe that we have to be responsible owners, train our dog correctly, and use correct supervision. This should be the case with any owner, whatever the size or breed.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

I have a golden retriever... he's worse than a pit bull? lol

10:34 AM  
Blogger Mo said...

Now that's one cute baby dog. :o)

As a dog owner, SPCA volunteer, and general animal lover I must say that I am saddened by the treatment these breeds are receiving. But I'm also an insurance agent, and I can tell you that it's not that the companies are being discriminatory. They're covering their butts. Dog bites can bring on very large lawsuits and the company is just protecting itself.

I've read that golden retrievers are more likely to bite than other breeds, that's why I bought a mutt from the SPCA. She has the loveable traits from many breeds and I feel good knowing I rescued her.

Good luck with your loveable furrball. We all need to stand up for the precious animals.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Thanks for coming by The Wife. I like anybody who compliments my baby. I'm so glad your hometown actually did the research before instituting the ban. I hadn't heard about the Denver ban. I guess my poor sister won't be able to see her "niece" then. What a ridiculous law. Thank you for being an SPCA volunteer too. I wish I could, but I am REALLY sensitive to pooches in need and would be depressed all the time since I couldn't save them all.

10:40 AM  
Blogger True Jersey Girl said...

Amen! I have a pit bull who is the sweetest, most wonderful dog you can imagine. He is NOT agressive towards people at all. We had a professional trainer come in when we first got him from the shelter 5 years ago who helped us learn about the breed and its tendencies so that we could be responsible owners to this wonderful dog. I have never regretted getting him - he is a terrific family pet!

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home