Monday, July 11, 2005

At a loss...


There was a death in my (very) extended family this weekend. Unfortunately, it was self-inflicted. What a tragedy this is, and what heartache this has caused. A precious life, snuffed out before its time. The guilt, the anger, the hurt, the ultimate pain for a parent to endure.

This is the fourth person that I knew personally that has committed this act. The second that I hear of this week. The other took his life the night of his daughter's wedding. Her honeymoon was cancelled, her wedding date scarred, her heart broken. Their hearts and minds must be blinded to the pain that they will cause those around them. Just how many hearts will be broken, never to fully mend over their loss? I read of a story today, where one individual took his life by carbon monoxide in his vehicle, and the fumes ended up killing his roommate that was just taking a shower. I'm sure he never dreamed that his actions would not just kill one, but two. It seems that this affects so many ages, so many people are hurting. But this especially affects young people. The oldest one of the four that I knew was 21. Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death for college students. They never realize their full potential. They never realize how trials can strengthen us, and build our character. However painful they might be.

I pray that those that are hurting will begin to heal, way before they hurt so many others by their actions. I pray that those left behind will be able to pick up the pieces, and be comforted.

I don't know what else to say. I am praying though. That's all I can do.

posted by Amstaff Mom | 11:59 AM




9 Comments:

Blogger chirky said...

Oh my gosh. The night was his daughter's wedding? When I read those words, I nearly gasped in horror & started crying. I can't imagine the trauma that poor girl is enduring right now.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

It is so tragic. And selfish. What kind of father would do that to his daughter? I couldn't believe it when my mom told me about it.

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, that's very tragic. I'm so sorry for you and you're right, praying is something you can do!

2:42 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

that is something that will haunt their families for the rest of their lives. i especially feel sorry for the bride you mentioned. how tragic!

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom told me about that today.

It must be so hard for Ruth too.

I hate suicide.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Me too, Miss. Me too.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Oh no. I hate that you are going through this, and for their family and friends who loved them. What does one even say in times like these when words seem so inadequate?

I am praying for all involved.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Thank you Jayleigh, and all those that are praying. I just got back from the funeral. His brother stood up and talked about him, and how much he loved him. Talk about breaking your heart.

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, such a heavy burden to carry -- for so many more people than the deceased ever thinks about, I'm sure.

I'm very sorry.

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home