Friday, July 15, 2005

The Brothers Grimm


The Amstaff Dad has two brothers. One is his twin, and the other is 7 years younger. Today the three of them are installing a sprinkler system in our yard. Sometimes I think our family is part Amish. It is such a blessing to have a family that helps each other out. Since we all live in the same neighborhood (sick, I know) it comes into play so much more. I also love that my hubby knows how to install sprinkler systems. It makes me beam with pride to know that he can plan it out, and by the sweat of his brow install one that is better than even some of the professionals. And sweating they are. It is a scorcher out there, but they've got the pick axes, the pipe cutters and the shovels going to town. Hopefully by Sunday, we will have our sprinkler system running and the yard will once again be happy. My 5 year old nephew is out there sweating with them too. He is too cute, trying to be a big helper. He wants so much to be like them. What a sweetie.

I've off work today, but I've been in the kitchen for the majority of the day, as I'm responsible for keeping them hydrated and fed. We had biscuits, bacon and eggs for breakfast. Sandwiches, chips and cookies for lunch, and tonight is burgers, fries, and pies. This afternoon I made a fruit salad with cantalopes, cherries, grapes, fresh pineapple and watermelon. Yum. I think fresh cut pineapple that is chilled is the best thing I have ever put in my mouth. I remember when we were in Hawaii, we stopped at the Dole plantation. After working our way through the maze, we ate some Dole Whip and then got a couple of pineapples to go. The employees there are able to cut a pineapple into perfect squares faster that you can say "Mahalo". Oh what a delicious delicacy. The sweet yellow meat with the juice running down your chin. Pure bliss.

I hope y'all have a wonderful weekend. Mahalo!

posted by Amstaff Mom | 1:19 PM




5 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

1. What is dole whip?

2. In my entire life, I have never eaten ANYTHING that tastes as amazing as chilled fresh pineapple. Oh my mouth is watering just thinking about it. On several occasions I've eaten so much of it that I've become sick. Oh well. I love it!!!!

8:47 PM  
Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

I know what you mean about having one of those fix and repair guys for a husband, I love it cause there is nothing mine can't do.

the food sounded wonderful, especially the fruit salad. It sounds to me like you really spoiled them rotten!! lol

10:40 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

oooh! i am such a fruit-o-holic! my latest kick is mangoes. they must be in season or something because they are SO DARN GOOD right now.

mmm... and fresh cherries are good too. i can eat a bag in one sitting! delicately spitting the seeds into a seperate bowl, of course.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Heidi- Yee haw is right! The fruit salad was a hit. It was quite delish if I do say so myself.

Jayleigh- Dole Whip is a soft serve, pineapple flavored ice cream. It is very light. Like it is made with ice milk instead of ice cream. Very refreshing!

LLL- Believe me, they deserved to be spoiled. I enjoy it too, as long as I haven't been at work all day.

Amanda Sue - I LOVE mangoes too. My mom still pronounces the word with a Spanish accent. MAHN-goes.
I always cut the big slices off and the eat off the big seed, getting strings all in my teeth. It's worth it.

It's probably a good thing cherries are so expensive. I would eat them by the pound if they weren't.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

oooh we went to the local farmer's market this week and Rob bought a pound for $4.50! YIKES! And we ate them in two days because we CANNOT help ourselves.

Have a great weekend!

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home