Friday, July 08, 2005

I say a little prayer for you...


Today began a new morning in the life of the Amstaff Mom. I have been feeling awfully convicted lately on the time that I spend reading my Bible and in prayer. I have a One Year Bible that daily provides readings from the Old Testament, the New Testament, some Psalms, and a Proverb. The problem was, that it wasn't truly a quiet time. A time of reflection and mediation, and it didn't include prayer. My prayer time is normally throughout the day. As I hear a request or think of someone, I say a prayer for them. Our Bible study group is currently reading a VERY short book called Intimacy With the Almighty, by Chuck Swindoll. This little book packs a big punch. It challenges us to really get deep with the Savior. To really, truly desire to know Him. To have Him search our heart, and know our anxious thoughts.

I confess, that I have struggled to do this. I really felt challenged after reading the first part of this book, and then discussing it in Bible study. Last night I took a class at church, and it challenged me even more to set aside the time, and specifically in the morning, to commit to this special time. How awesome it is, that He, the Creator of the universe wants to spend time with me. How tragic it is that I haven't been doing this.

So, this morning, before my alarm began going off at the wee hour of 5 am, I awoke at 4:45. Let me preface this by saying, I AM NOT A MORNING PERSON. This is such a struggle, but I won the Battle of the Blankets, and sat up. Then began falling asleep, then stood up. I fixed my English Afternoon tea, because I was too asleep to open the box of English Breakfast. Then, an amazing thing happened. I was able to focus on my readings. I was able to pray. Without distractions. Without falling asleep. Without trying to figure out what to pray for next. Verses came to my mind. Prayer requests followed. What a wonderful start to my day. I prayed for many of you bloggers. For Steve's dad in chemo, for Jayleigh's new home, for the OD, Jes, Eddo, Tracey, and many others. I prayed for my friend Kate in London, and for many others there. For my sis, my family, my church and my country. I want to begin to do this faithfully. Please pray for me, that I will.

On a lighter note, I also realize that I need to go to bed earlier! I was awake while the hot tea and caffeine were coursing through my veins. Evidently, I wasn't awake when I was attempting to take my shower immediately following. I ended up shampooing my hair twice. Then I turned off the water with the conditioner still in. Oh well, it's a start!

I also thought about this song this morning. I love the gift of music.

I Want To Know You
(unknown)

In the secret, In the quiet place
In the stillness, You are there
I wait only for You
'Cause I want to know You more

Chorus:
I want to know You
I want to hear Your voice
I want to know You more
I want to touch You
I want to see Your face
I want to know You more

I am reaching for the highest goal
That I might receive the prize
Pressing onward
Pushing every hindrance aside
Out of my way
'Cause I want to know You more

posted by Amstaff Mom | 6:14 AM




8 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

i love that song! a really good (old but short) book on prayer is Adventures in Prayer by Catherine Marshall.

11:33 AM  
Blogger steve said...

How sweet are you!

I could never thank you enough for prayers for my Dad. God is so very good!

I hope you are blessed ten-fold!

12:31 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Prayed for the trip to Russia too! Sorry I forgot to mention it.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I am so touched that you prayed for the addition to my house. God Bless You!

2:34 PM  
Blogger whaaaat! said...

That's great. Keep at it. I wish I could say the same every day. I don't know why I struggle with this all the time when I know it is what I need to do and will be blessed for it. Spending time with God is so important.

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prayers from a friend are the greatest gifts--thankyou!

4:40 PM  
Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

I will be praying you can continue to be faithful in your quiet time, thanks for sending up prayers for us in the blog world, I too will to praying more for my fellow bloggers, not only the ones who are really struggling, but the ones who have not mentioned they are. thanks so much for this post, it was great!

5:24 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

I love that song as well. I know Sonic Flood does a version of that song.

I will pray for you and your commitment to daily reading. I also have that struggle. Big time. That is always one of my prayers, but i haven't made it a priority yet. I know this must make Our Father sad. Thanks for the entry, it's an encouraging prompt.

You must have been tired....shampooing your hair twice. Sounds like something i'd do.

Oh, found you through my friend Steve's...Following God's Will...site.

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home