Thursday, July 14, 2005

Survival of the Fittest


As he separated from his companion, he sniffed the night air. It was humid, stuffy, but with a slight breeze. It softly blew the grasses against his face as he turned to see which way he needed to go. He decided to veer right, surely east was the safest mode of travel. His companion turned and headed north. They were in search of food, and shelter. Little did they know it would be the last time they saw each other. That there would be no morning. As he began walking further, he began to hear the sounds of the city closing in on him. The sun was just beginning to peek above the horizon. He was almost there. He picked up the pace, his adrenaline kicked in and he began to scurry faster, faster. He wondered if his companion had made it to his destination as fast as he had. He had found the right path! He was going to make it! And then he turned to see the lights fast approaching and before he knew it, WHAM! His life was snuffed out. Little did he know, but a block away, his companion had made the same fate.

And so it was, less than a mile from my house. Two little armadillos enjoyed their last evening. Sniff.

Cars:2 Armadillos: 0

posted by Amstaff Mom | 6:32 AM




7 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Do they squish when you run over them... or does it feel like a road bump? (We don't have armadillos in Minnesota.)

8:54 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I don't know, I've never actually hit one. I rarely see live armadillos, mostly the squished kind. We hit an owl once, but it actually lived. We weren't going very fast and suddenly over half our windshield was covered by an owl! It flew off, it was dazed though!

10:03 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

When I was in college i hit am armadillo and it rolled away, kind of defelcted off of the tire and bounced to the curb

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My cousin in Texas (San Antonio) had a Armadillo cake at his wedding/dress rehearsal dinner--gray frosting with some kind of blood-red filling. Y'all are a little warped down there. ;)

1:06 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

They did that on Steel Magnolias!! At first I was thinking, I've seen that cake! I know the OD's cousin! And then I remembered the movie. Oh well.

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, this one was real life, though probably inspired by the movie (he got married after Steel Magnolias came out). I wasn't there, but my dad has pix. Is this a Texas tradition?

3:45 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

No. I did not even think of having a dead armadillo for a groom's cake at my wedding. It is not a Texan tradition.

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home