Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Eternal Perspective


Psalm 90:12
"So teach us to number our days, that we may present to you a heart of wisdom."

Our days on this earth our numbered. So many times I tend to forget that. I go through the motions, wishing my week away, and longing for the weekends. But I don't know that I will be here on this earth this weekend, or this evening, or even 5 minutes from now. The Lord created me, but not just for this earthly life. He created me to be eternal. He also gave me the gift of salvation, the gift of spending eternal life with Him, in glory, in perfect peace.

I normally get an early start on reading your blogs. This morning I read two blogs that spoke to life and its brevity. Both Steve and Chad referenced the need to enjoy the days we have, and to tell those around us that we love them. Steve wrote a song for a little friend of his, and played it for him 20 minutes before he left this earth for glory. Listening to the song created alot of emotions inside of me. It brought sadness, that this little boy did not get a chance to grow up. It also brought peace, that he has no more pain, and no more tears. That he is in the arms of his Heavenly Father. It also brought back memories. I was with my grandfather when he took his last breath. A few days before he passed away, he had come home from the hospital, to die. His body was riddled with colon and prostate cancer and he was in a lot of pain. The last few hours of his life, I sat in the room with him and sang to him. His eyes were closed and he lay there very still. I sang some of the songs over and over again, but it seemed to relax him. I remember singing "Oh How He Loves You and Me". It was the middle of the afternoon, at the time, it was just the two of us in the room. I was holding his hand and singing softly. He began to smile, and then peacefully let out a sigh. It was his last breath. I remember a peace that surpasses all understanding.

My grandfather had served the Lord for many, many years. He was the only one in his family that was a Christian, and he became a missionary to his country of Guatemala as a young man. He was almost killed while sharing his faith because of his many travels in a third-world country. He even translated a Bible into a language of one of the Mayan tribes that had never seen a Bible in their native tongue. He brought his family to America so that he could be trained to be a pastor. I imagine that when he entered heaven, he heard "Well done, good and faithful servant."

One day, I will have my last breath on this earth. Because I have accepted Christ as my Lord and Saviour, I will spend eternity with Him. I will get to see my grandfather again. Maybe I'll even get to see the little boy that Steve wrote the song for. Because Jesus loved me so much, He paid the penalty of my sin, and died on a cross. He being sinless, took away my sin and the punishment that it would have incurred. He rose from the dead, and by believing in Him, on my last day I will be able to say,

1 Corinthians 15:55 - "Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?"

posted by Amstaff Mom | 5:45 AM




7 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Thank you JCol for reminding me . . . . your words touched my heart this morning.

6:30 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Thank you so much for this post. I love the song "Oh how he loves you and me." I'd forgotten that I knew it!

God bless you. You have so touched me today.

**hugs**

9:12 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Amen! Nothing else needs to be said.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

love this post!

we look at death at such a sad thing, and it is for those left on earth, but for Christians, it is their homecoming!

1:40 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I heard a quote the other day...

For the believer, life on earth is their hell.

For the unbeliever, life on earth is their heaven.

1:56 PM  
Blogger steve said...

I will echo Sydney's AMEN!

3:19 PM  
Blogger Cav said...

I will see you there sister with my bells on!!!1

Thanks for sharing. I love Proverbs 3 - all of it. Talks about wisdom and understanding and in doing so everything will fall into place.

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home