Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Incident Report - 08/03/2005


This is what I get for exercising....

1. My hands hurt!!! I didn't even know that there WERE muscles in my hands, but they're there today. Especially the one that connects my left hand to my wrist. My body doth protest much against all this movin'. I rode my bike the furthest distance EVER on Monday night. On grass even. Sho' nuff. I had a horrible experience/accident on a bike when I was but a young pup, and have had an aversion (I seem to be using this word alot lately) to bikes ever since. I bought my bike from my neighbor at my old house, and it was practically brand new. I got such a great deal on it. It's a Specialized Hardrock and looks like this, only older and green in color.

I got my sweetie our anniversary/birthday gift(s) of a new bike on Friday, and so this is our new toy:

We've really enjoyed our rides so far and have been riding almost every night since I brought it home from REI this past Friday. The only problem is, that since I've been so nervous, I grip the handlebars with such tenacity, you'd think my very life depended on it (and it does, to some extent). My sweetie was giving me pointers, and I even stood straight up on the pedals (after much coercing). We were able to ride over to the our "mentors" house. The sweet couple that mentors us are within bike riding distance from our new house - hurray!.

I say all this to say, death grip, plus swimming the next day, plus 2 hours of pool volleyball last night equals 2 very sore hands for the Amstaff Mom.

2. I was cooking my organic angel hair pasta last night and under-estimated the level of the rapidly boiling water when I was putting the noodles in the pot. I managed to dunk my right ring finger straight into the scalding hot water. Needless to say, the nerves in that finger gave me the "what for". It was all worth it though, because the al dente noodles were served with my mom's spaghetti sauce that she had fixed me for my birthday. DELISH.

I think I need to begin staying away from exercise and the kitchen. Especially since the former is a direct result of the latter. Sounds like a plan to me.

posted by Amstaff Mom | 7:43 AM




7 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

you make me want to drag my bike out of the shed and dust it off! wait! i can't think of ANYTHING that would be more uncomfortable at this point in my life.

nevermind.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Nice bike. Gotta love great deals.

For some reason, I was thinking that scalding your finger was a result of riding your bike... (Of course I was completely bewildered at this) but then the light came on and you were saying that that excercise is a result of being in the kitchen too much...

I'm following you. ;)

9:44 AM  
Blogger steve said...

(Steve walks in and just socks Ben in the nose... no reason)

10:54 AM  
Blogger whaaaat! said...

Maybe there is a solution to your dilemma so you won't have to stay away from either... figure out how to exercise in the kitchen. I get a workout walking back and forth from the pantry to the refrigerator and lifting the heavy bucket of ice cream from the freezer. Works for me.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Eddo said...

The Former is a direct result of the latter! I couldn't say it better.

It seems that Americans workout so we can eat whatever we want. It is a vicious cycle it is.

I have a Hardrock and a Giant. Both great bikes. The more you ride the more fun it is!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

Eddo laughs as he watches Ben get socked in the nose! Good One Steve, NOW GO FOR THE KIDNEY!! That's it!! NOW UPPERCUT! UPPERCUT!!!!!!!

12:15 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I laugh by taking Hardrock and Giant out of context in eddie's post. I mean Eddie you are a Hardrock and a Giant yourself.

Boys calm down and show your manhood in other ways than beating each other up. Go toss washing machines or dryers (Eddie would win at that contest though, I know this from personal experience)

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home