Tuesday, September 13, 2005

The Not So Itsy Bitsy Spider


"Brian" made the comment the other day that he had never seen a deadly spider until the age of 25. This is the same age he was when we moved out of the Dallas City Limits. Since then, we've seen:

1st house - Black Widow in our mailbox. Yep, reached in to get the mail and there was the famous red hourglass. I ALWAYS check the mailbox before I stick my hand it in now.

2nd house - Brown recluse right next to door in kitchen. Outside. When we went to go grab something to kill it, it disappeared. Not that's not a good feeling, let me tell you.

3rd house - "Brian" went to go get something out of the shed on Saturday. Just as he put his hand on the spreader, he saw something black move right next to his hand. Not one, but TWO black widow spiders.

My camera battery picked the most inopportune time to die, so I only got two blurry pictures out of it. One of them could have been perfect, because I was about three inches away from the perfect red hourglass. RATS! He even allowed one to walk up the stick he was holding so I could get a picture and then the battery died. I am SO disappointed. So, these will have to do.









And now for a cuter picture, here's my Amstaff acting like a Rhodesian Ridgeback. She had been growling at the front door, so her fur was still standing up.

















And, ONLY TWO MORE DAYS until, Survivor: Land of my mother, begins. YEA!!!!!

posted by Amstaff Mom | 9:12 AM




13 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

life rule # 89:

never mush a spider in the house unless you WANT 8000 spider babies to scatter in all directions as you frantically try to stomp them with your stocking feet.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

ugh. Nasty, AS. Nasty.

We did stomp the two egg sacs we saw. For a fleeting moment I thought of poor Charlotte of Charlotte's Web. Then I came to my senses.

I know, I'm a softie.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Oh no, you kill them and leave the body for all other spiders to see and beware.

10:42 AM  
Blogger chirky said...

freak out. don't you have pest service? those things are so poisonous. you guys either need to a) get pest service or b) get yourselves to Home Depot and purchase their entire lot of bug killer.

dyxowmn!

10:52 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

K-T - come to think of it, we did leave their carcasses there as an example to many.

Jes - oh, Jes. Two words - Organic.Gardening. I'm so going to have to post about this now.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

AM - it's like my own little mafia hit with all bugs. You leave the carcass out there for a while and all the other bugs know you mean business.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Yucky!!! Can I just say I really really dislike spiders????
If I have too I can kill them but if the hubbster is home... I let him do it! (Shivers)

1:51 PM  
Blogger Edgy Mama said...

Alright, I'm not coming to Texas now.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Until the black widows leave webs over your pup that say "Some Dog" or the like, please feel free to kill them mercilessly.

**hugs** Glad nobody was hurt!

7:13 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Edgy Mama, these are isolated incidents. I promise!

Jayleigh! Another Charlotte's Web fan! I still say, "hooray for Charlotte" every once in a while.

Heidi, I must say I'm not quite as excited as I normally am about the AR, but I'm still excited just the same.

5:39 AM  
Blogger chirky said...

organic gardening? um, apparently, it's not working.

vribuemk!

10:37 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Texas Bites... Brown Recluse and Black Widows... I am never coming to Teeeekkkkkssssaaaassss.

Ever.


Never.








































































































Ever.

yovpochx

8:19 PM  
Blogger Amstaffie said...

What an adorable pooch! I was surfing the net of Amstaff & found your blog. I have one also. I love her greatly. But I can't say that for spiders. *eek*

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home