Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Organic Gardening 101


Yesterday, Jes inspired me to write a post about organic gardening. Today, she provoked me to it. So here's Organic Gardening 101.

Chemicals are bad. Natural is good.

That just about sums it up. Chemicals are bad for you, the soil, nature, your pets, and your water. Natural is good for all the above. So, we've done organic gardening at all three homes, and if I may say so myself, the yard looked great. At least that's what the neighbors have said. Normally it's a gradual improvement, but sometimes it's immediate.



So where do we glean this wealth of information? From Howard Garrett, the Dirt Doctor himself. We've got several books, including my personal favorite, "The Texas Bug Book: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly." Yes, contrary to popular belief, there are alot of good bugs out there. Many of which get obliterated by the chemicals being sprayed on the yard. The problem is that they are beneficial bugs, and when they're gone, you've got even more problems than you had to begin with.

Howard Garrett also has a radio show, and a column in the Dallas Morning News. His website features the answers to many gardening questions.

So, what would you rather put on your lawn for fungus? Corn Gluten Meal or a chemical that could kill any living and breathing human or animal? Molasses or Diazinon? Vinegar or Round-up? By the way, 20% vinegar will singe your nose hairs in a strong breeze. I've felt the wrath of 20% vinegar. Coupled with sunshine, and it will fry a weed far more effectively than Round-Up. It's available at most feed stores. The vinegar you buy at the grocery store is only 5% vinegar. You have to have a special license to sell 30%, it's practically illegal! 20% will do the job.

So many people have never even heard of organic gardening, and didn't know that there are other options besides the normal chemicals found at your local Home Depot or Lowe's. Even they're starting to hop on the organic gardening bandwagon. They sell Lava Sand, GreenSand, and usually orange oil and vinegar. So here's a list of staples and their purposes...


Corn Gluten Meal - should be applied in Mid September as a pre-emergent. Will help prevent winter weeds (such as the dreaded crabgrass), and prevents you from having to buy additional fertilizer (added benefit!)

Corn Meal - to help your flower beds, reduce fungal disease, algae, weed control, and compost stimulation. LOTS of benefits. No "side-effects"

Greensand - Fertilizer with iron. Use instead of Ironite.

Lava Sand - Great for flower beds and plants. Helps the break down the soil.

Diatomaceous Earth - Or DE, or "My favorite way to kill ants and fleas". To you an I, it looks exactly like flour. To unsuspecting small insects like ants, it's razor wire. Take a handful and sprinkle it on a disturbed ant bed. Watch the ants crawl through it and watch them writhe in pain. The diatoms are microscopic, but really look like shards of glass, and that's exactly what it feels like to the ants. They bite me, I torture them. And then I laugh. Heartily.
Last week we were having an issue with crickets in the house, then we sprinkled DE. No more crickets. Sanity has returned. This is great stuff! There's even 2% in Amstaff's dog food. It's great for cattle and pets b/c it kills any micro-organisms living in them. Don't buy the kind meant for swimming pools.

There are other great products, but these will get you started. Next thing you know, you'll be releasing green lacewings and ladybugs, as well as trichogamma wasps. Checkout his website sometime. You and your pets will be glad you did.

Sincerely,

The Environmental Republican/Amstaff Mom

posted by Amstaff Mom | 11:49 AM




14 Comments:

Blogger Cav said...

I listen to him on the radio, can't miss that voice anywhere - I do ALL organic gardening as well. So much better! Now we have rabbits, lizards and frogs galore plus beautiful, natural scrubs, flowers, etc.

Amstaff - we are on the same wave length in many ways. :)

1:33 PM  
Blogger RR said...

AM, when you find an organic mosquito repellant, let me know. I already tried one that I read about on Howard Garrett's website, and it did not work. I was very disappointed.

qmielnk

9:22 PM  
Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

would you come over and do my gardening and yard now? lol!

3:37 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I think Blogger is not working right. I posted a comment in response to Cav yesterday at 4pm and it never showed up. RR and LLL's comments just showed up this morning. Very interesting....

Anyways,

Cav - WAY TO GO!!! So glad to hear that there is a fellow organic out there! I always feel like such a traitor to my yard whenever we move. We release all the good bugs and do organic and then the new owners spray chemicals. Just call me Benedict.

RR - Mosquitos are such a problem for me too. I've tried everything. I hear bats are great for them. Maybe I need a bat house! I also read that cinnamon oil might be a potential repellant. Sure hope it works!

LLL - Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass for now.

nwqtcncu

5:48 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

AM, you amaze me. I can kill anything green so I gave up on it all a long time ago and am always impress when someone can do it and do it well.

For a personal mosquito repellent take 1500 MG of B1 every day. There is something in it that makes your blood smell not good to them but we can't smell it. Also, you body will just shed any excess it doesn't need.

9:11 AM  
Blogger steve said...

SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!

10:54 AM  
Blogger steve said...

did you know that

SURVIVOR STARTS TONIGHT!!

10:55 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

Hey Jcol
Nothing to do with Gardening but I got the Job, so we will have to plan to do lunch soon! I start on the 26th!

Holly
Hollyshook@sbcglobal.net

11:03 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Jubal! I just posted that, and then went to read your comments. Too funny!

Holly - CONGRATS!!!!!
Yes, we'll do lunch sometime! (anytime you want to come pick me up since I'm car-less).

nsujq

11:09 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

I would love to pick you up sometime. Email me!

12:12 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Holly,

I don't think I have your email address. Email me at theamstaffmom at yahoo dot com

nvkjv! (nev king james version)

1:17 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Go girl with your organic gardening. I try to do *everything* organically, but I didn't know enough about it. Thanks for the primer. NO MORE ROUND UP!!!!!!!!

3:07 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Yea Jayleigh!

They're talking about all the pesticides and chemicals in the water now in New Orleans. How sad.

4:58 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

I hate to point this out to you but if you look at my first comment its on there!

Love ya
holly

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home