Thursday, October 20, 2005

Delightfully British


My grandmother (my dad's mom) came to America on a huge ship at the age of 13 and arrived at Ellis Island. I remember her telling me how her first view of America was of the Statue of Liberty. What promise the new land held, but for a 13 year old, what fear. She had left her homeland in Wales and her family settled into the land in this country that most resembles Wales - Pennsylvania. The Welsh influence is still strong in some parts, and they lived there where the coal mines were plentiful. My grandfather (dad's dad) was born in the U.S., but his parents made the same voyage from Wales, and so he, like his dad, worked the coal mines. I remember his coal lamps that he used to show me, of how he had used down in the deep, dark mines. He suffered from Black Lung from breathing the coal dust in all day and into the night.

My grandmother took me to her native land when I was 12 years old, and we stayed there, visiting relatives and seeing the sights for a month. I developed a fondness for certain British delicacies, such as Fish and Chips (wrapped in newspaper, of course), salt and vinegar crisps (long before they came to the U.S.), Welsh cookies, Salad Cream, and Beans on Toast. My sis and I went back to Britain a few years ago, and I once again enjoyed a good cup of Earl Grey with my Beans on Toast for breakfast. It brought back the memories of my grandmother making it for me every once in a while as a special treat, to bring back the memories of our wonderful trip. Cat and I even got to travel down into a coal mine on a tour. You have never seen such darkness and the absence of light until you've gone down in a coal mine, with the doors shut, and the lamps off. You can feel the darkness, it's so powerful. There are approximately 300 ways you could die in a coal mine, and it was enough to make me appreciate why my grandparents left the coal mining profession behind and came to Texas. It was a fascinating tour, and I really learned alot from it.

Fast forward to this past Sunday, when I was doing my grocery shopping at my favorite Kroger. Thankfully, it is a new one, is close to my home, has a rather large Organic section, and as I discovered, a itty-bitty British section. What's a girl going to do when she sees Heinz Baked Beanz imported from England? Well, purchase a loaf of white bread to accompany them, of course. Last night I was on my own for dinner, and so I decided that I would, for the first time, make my own Beans on Toast. So, I popped two slices of bread in the toaster oven, popped the top of the can off the Beanz, heated, and then assembled the two together.







Memories were made last night as the first bite was devoured. It didn't have quite the pizzaz, as Nana didn't make it for me, and I'm not in England, but it was still good just the same. I like getting back to my British roots. I'd like it so much more if were able to enjoy it "across the pond" in the land of my ancestors. Maybe someday!

posted by Amstaff Mom | 7:09 AM




16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmmm.

Beans on toast.

SO JEALOUS. (continuing the daily trend here)

I ate beans on toast alot after we got back from Britain. It was my new college staple.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

I don't like bake beans... but glad they they are "delectible" for you.

Good times.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Miss Anon - I was so excited to see the half portion at Kroger, instead of the full can like I got you that time. I don't know that Brian would have eaten that.

BNMc - I don't normally eat them either, but the nostalgia of the combination makes up for any disdain of baked beans. Besides, they're baked beanZ!

8:04 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

ok is that pork n beans on white bread? That's british? Oh yea then I can be british too. I'm having that tonight and tomorrow I will speak in a british accent all day.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

You are officially British K-T. Without even knowing it!

8:10 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

I'm just laughing that pork-n-beans on white bread (and it looks like Texas Toast to me) is a british meal, and you ate it for BREAKFAST - ahahahahaha, I am british you can tell my the lack of melanin in my skin tone

8:43 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

That's an interesting combo Amstaff. NEVER heard of it. I'll have to give it a whirl sometime so I say that I am "cultured" and stuff...

Brittish KT... there's a new one.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

Just don't start brushing your teeth with MILKTEETH, and we'll be fine.

Why would you name a brand of toothpaste, Milkteeth, anyway? I mean, don't they KNOW what happens to teeth in milk? No wonder the British are famous for not having the best teeth in the world - they use Milkteeth! Ug.

9:53 AM  
Blogger steve said...

ewwwwwwww


(just kidding... can you imagine me saying no to ANY food??)

11:59 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Deals - is that a tooth powder or something? It sounds terrible.

Tracey - I saw the email version of your comment, but I don't see it here. I did read it though!

Julie - Isn't it funny how foods and smells bring memories back?

Jubal - I've seen you eat a fried sandwich. Beans on toast would not be a stretch for you. And speaking of memories, are we going to get to see your Texas pictures soon? PLEASE?

12:24 PM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

It's a toothpaste. I tried to GOOGLE it and all I could find were ads for toothpaste for little kids (that still have their baby - or "milk" - teeth). This is different then the product I am thinking of, which is a toothpaste in a brownish tube for people of all ages. Ew.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

Again, I read that post with a British Accent. Great story. Loved it.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Lia said...

You're going to have to do some travelling. You have the suitcase; go visit Nana!

5:22 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Sounds delish!!!

AmCol you're the woman!

I miss my grandparents.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

I didn't notice the Z until I read through your comments! How cool!

8:31 AM  
Blogger chirky said...

i think i would like to try this sometime. the beans on toast. and yet, when i saw the picture, a quizzical look came across my face and i wasn't sure that i DID want to try it. because, you see, i don't like biscuits and gravy for the same reason that i don't think i would enjoy beans on toast: the bread gets soggy. i also cannot eat bread pudding. or cereal, unless it is immediately consumed, and quickly, while it is still crunchy.

though most frequently, when i eat cereal, i pour my cereal in a bowl and my milk in a glass, just to make sure nothing mixes and becomes soggy.

abnormal and anal, i know.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home