Monday, October 17, 2005

Discipline


Why does it take so much effort to do what is good for us? Wouldn't it be nice if the things that tempted us weren't so much more appealing than the things that are right and good? Why can't cauliflower taste better than queso? Why can't jogging be as easy as relaxing in a hammock?

Lately I have begun making the effort to be more disciplined. Both in my physical goals and my spiritual ones. Initially, I think it is hard to try to begin a new habit. In this case, it is jogging, and committing to daily Bible quiet times. Hopefully, as I continue to practice doing these daily, they will become more familiar and therefore easier to do. It's a great thing to have goals, and to discipline yourself in order to improve. But it never seems to be easy or comfortable. What does make it easier though, is to have others there to encourage you and to help you along the way. Accountability is a wonderful thing. It holds you to the standard. It opens you up to admitting where you stand, and it allows you to be a help to others in the process.

So, for my spiritual goal of really getting into my Bible, to spending time alone with God, and of memorizing verses, I have a small group that meets once a week where we can share what we learned throughout the week.

For my physical goal of getting into shape, and to attempt to cross the 8 mile marker on Thanksgiving morning at the Turkey Trot, I have my sister Cat, and Eddo to cheer me on and encourage my goals. Cat and I jogged/walked yesterday and it was great to have her jogging along with me. Hopefully, in a month and a half, we will all cross the finish line together.

These verses are so true, from Ecclesiates 4:9-10, 12

9 Two are better than one,
because they have a good return for their work:

10 If one falls down,
his friend can help him up.
But pity the man who falls
and has no one to help him up!

12 Though one may be overpowered,
two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

How great it is to have friends to encourage us along the way. I am truly blessed.

posted by Amstaff Mom | 7:35 AM




18 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Add me to the list of cheerleaders, friend.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

K-T you are most definitely on the list. You are a treasured friend. I had a great time with you on Friday AND last night. So much fun. And very special. Hope your Monday gets better!

lzwbk - lazy with a book. What I'd rather be, for sure!

7:59 AM  
Blogger Lia said...

Solomon was not called wise for nothing. It is much easier to do anything when you have support - or even just people to check up and make sure you're doing it. Good luck on your new projects. I'll try to remember to check up on how you're doing ;).

Life is about growth and struggle; it seems they come together. It's sort of a test of how much you want to do it - if it were easy, we'd all be perfect.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Very true Lia. And thanks for the accountability. Putting it out there for the blog world makes it even more real!

You're right. It was never meant to be easy. But it sure would be nice! My thigh muscles are sore!

8:09 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Blessings on your new ventures! I've found memorizing Bible verses to be very encouraging, uplifting, and exciting! These are great goals, and I will be cheering you along from afar!

9:03 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Mornin' Steph! Thank you for the blessings and cheers!

Julie - Welcome! My template is courtesy of Jes and Eddo. Don't you just love the little suitcases?
Thanks for the complements! Come back and see me sometime!

9:06 AM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

You are going to run the Turkey Trot? I LOVE the Turkey Trot (I've run it for the past several years). It is such a wonderful feeling to gorge yourself on turkey and stuffing and not feel guilty about it (because you ran 8 miles that morning).

One of my most favorite activities is running, so if you ever need a running buddy I'm your gal!

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for high goals. It's gonna take a lot of discipline, but it will all be worth it in the end!

later gater
cat

11:07 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

GO Amstaff GO! You will have to imagine me at the finish line of the race, saying well done friend. I am a fly by the seat of your pants person, so discipline is not a one of my forte's (ummm don't know if that is spelled right but oh well you know what I mean)

Anyways... Cheering you on. I decided last week that I was going to have a quiet time everyday and it hasn't happened yet. GOd is good and knows my days so right now I have committed to memorizing the scripture that my kids are working on each week.

Keep up posted on your progress.!!!

12:43 PM  
Blogger Curious Servant said...

I think I have trouble obeying God because I am tempted bythings that are more about my interests, my pleasure than in obedience.

Someday I'll be free of these temptations.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

Hey, I am part of the Turkey Trot Chord! Yeah!

I am going to go for a short run tonight and then play basketball for some really intense cardio. Basketball almost always kills me because we play non-stop and there is so much running. But man, when I am done I feel like I have really, really put in some serious exercise.

3/4 hugs!

3:03 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

Oh, and these are the exact things I always deal with - SELF CONTROL - Lord please give me MORE!! I just can't seem to say no to myself in some areas and yes to myself in others. I have been much better lately, I am reading through Corinthians and this morning I read some of Acts because I wanted to see what Tom would be teaching on next week and I think it will be good because it is about Tongues and the day of Pentecost and that is always a hot topic.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

The Turkey Trot Cord! Ha! I just got back from doing 2 miles. I'm still sore from yesterday's jog. I've got a loooooong way to go. One day at a time!

Next week should be interesting indeed. We should all sit together again.

3/4 hugs! And don't worry, I just showered so I'm not as sweaty as I was yesterday when you drove up!

3:41 PM  
Blogger steve said...

LONG DISTANCE SHOUT OUT!!!

4:30 PM  
Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

You Go Girl! I can just see all of you chasing turkeys on Thanksgiving morning. Eddie has to catch us a fat one every year, the thing nearly runs his legs off and we are usually starving by the time he gets there! lol!

Good luck on your goals!!

1:00 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Thanks Jubal!

LLL - that turkey would SO outrun me right now. Sore.legs. youch.

5:00 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

We will cheer you on from Minnesota!

7:46 AM  
Blogger Jojo said...

You have chosen two wonderful goals. I know for me, it seems my time with God often gets put on the back burner because I feel I have to get all these other things done first! WRONG! When I do what is right and spend time with Him first, He always affirms my efforts and shows me something new and significant.

Thanks for visiting my blog and your words of encouragement.

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home