Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Interesting, huh?


I read this quote the other day in the newspaper and wanted to get your thoughts. The following is a quote by the Archbishop of Washington, D.C., Cardinal McCarrick.

This is what he said when addressing King Abdullah of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan at the Catholic University of America on September 13, 2005:

Your Majesty,


A few months ago, when I was privileged to pray for you on another occasion in this capital city, I asked Allah, the compassionate and merciful Lord of all the world, to bless you and to help you make your country a bridge across which all nations might walk in unity, fellowship and love. As I listened to your words today, I believe my prayer is being answered.
Indeed, the Amman Message of November of last year is a blueprint and a challenge not only to the great world of Islam, but to the whole human race. Your thoughtful leadership is a stirring invitation to all of us, especially to the people of the Book, the family of Abraham, who share so much and who are called to be brothers and sisters in God’s one human family.
You have taken to heart the words of Pope Benedict XVI when he addressed the Muslim leaders gathered with him in Germany last month and invited them all to join him in eliminating from all hearts any trace of rancor, in resisting every form of intolerance and in opposing every manifestation of violence. As you quoted in your splendid talk to us today, Pope Benedict called his listeners, in this way, to turn back the way of cruel fanaticism that endangers the lives of so many people and hinders progress for world peace.
Your Majesty’s call and that of the Holy Father are in so many ways the same. May Allah, the merciful and compassionate, continue to guide your steps along this noble path. May He guide and protect you, your family and your beloved country and may peace and justice come to all lands and all peoples through your efforts, your vision and your courage.
In the name of Allah, the merciful and compassionate God, we pray. Amen.


Do you think we're moving closer to a One World Religion?

posted by Amstaff Mom | 6:19 AM




6 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Hmmm, not quite sure what to make of that.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm going to tread lightly on this one. I *think* (this was my first instinct on this, and as I looked it up online, I found confirmation - but then again, it is the internet, so take it for what it's worth), but I think what was happening was that the archbishop was trying to... relate to the King by using a familiar term, "Allah", which is the Arabic word for God. Perhaps the archbishop was trying to establish a sense of unity between them, in other words, bridging a gap with words.

For more info on the origination of the word, "Allah", you can visit http://thetruereligion.org/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=71

I have yet to read through the whole thing, but from what I have read, it seems rather credible.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Steph - I read the quote in Dallas Morning News in their "Points" section, edgy quotes from the previous week. I googled what I remembered of the quote (I left the newspaper at home) and found the actual speech and posted it here.

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh ya we are. We're on our way and the Catholic church is positioning itself to be the religion of choice.

I agree with Stephanie that the Archbishop was trying to relate to the King of Whatever by using Allah. I don't agree with it, but that's what he was doing.

Rodney King inquired, "Can't we all just get along?" My response has alway been when it comes to religion, "No, we can't." And for a good reason - we don't all believe the same standard of truth.

To make one world religion means we have to water down the Gospel and water down Islam and Water down Judiasm. When you do that much watering down, all you get is water-down religion.

~Jef

8:18 AM  
Blogger steve said...

who is this "Allah" character?


woupas!! (THATS RIGHT! I am gonna woupas on anyone that says Allah is da man!!) perfect verification word for this!

5:10 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Oh my I pray that we are not! God is EL, and not AL as in Allah. It's a whole big argument and I cannot remember all of the semantics. As I say, I am not the expert in Islam, but this worries me greatly.

Wow. How was that for not fence-sitting for me as usual?

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home