Monday, October 24, 2005

Misery Loves Company


Yesterday I went to the State Fair once again, this time with Impatient Chicken and Impatient Bee. I don't mean to imply that my outing with them was miserable AT ALL. Quite the contrary, I had a glorious time with them. Lots of laughs, lots of chills, and unfortunately, lots of food. This is where the misery comes in to play. Would I learn from my previous outting to the fair with Jes, Roger, K-T, Eddo and Jubal? Or from all the previous years of gluttony? Contraire Monfraire. I consumed even MORE food, if that's possible. All under the guise of "sharing".

We got to the fair early, even before it officially opened, and noticed that most of the stands were not yet open. Including the famed FRIED Peanut Butter, Jelly and Banana sandwich stand, which had a long line to it when Jubal ordered his.








There was already a nip in the air, although nowhere near the chill factor that would encroach in the next few hours. So, we stopped by the one place that was open, Owens, where we consumed Sausage biscuits and hot cocoa. yummmm..

Please note that I had consumed 21 grams of fat BEFORE THE FAIR OFFICIALLY OPENED.

sigh.




After that, JLR and RR ate their funnel cake and we wandered around the fairgrounds, sitting in various cars at the auto show, and smiling at the farm animals.

Aren't these little ducks cute? Basking under their heat lamp. Too sweet.









I've always wanted a Jeep. Alas, this is about as close as I get to owning one though. Notice the fancy-schmancy sign on the fender requesting that one climb through the door to sit in the back seat instead of on the tire.










We ate our corny dogs, that were oh so fresh, and then went to watch the Frisbee Dog Show. You just can't go to the fair and not see these dogs fly for frisbees. They are all such sweet and SMART dogs. One of them even learned how to do a handstand on his owner's arm in 2 weeks. Unfortunately, I missed a picture of that.

This one looks like he's floating off the ground.






He really looked like he had springs on his paws. He was flying through the air.













We stopped to see the Budweiser Clydesdales. These horses are HUGE. I love their furry "feet".










It is tradition, that I eat Hast Texas Nachos every year at the fair. Are the chips too cute? Shaped like Texas and washed down with Sweet Tea. yummm..











I really did go to the fair with them. I have many cute pictures of them, but I'm under contractual agreement not to post any of them. I was given permission to take a picture of them "walking away". So here it is. PROOF!









To recap the day, it was cold, cold, cold. After being in the 90's the first part of the week, it was 37 this morning. Yesterday wasn't much warmer, I'm afraid. And I ate, ate, ate. I had a sausage biscuit first, then hot chocolate, a corny dog, nachos, french fries, and a nutty bar (ice cream). I even had two bites of JLR's fried cheesecake. Misery does love company!

posted by Amstaff Mom | 11:29 AM




23 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm laughing that you PURPOSELY posted the listing of your food right beside a picture of the most enormous pig I've ever seen.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

I thought of you yesterday when it was cold and rainy and cold and rainy and you were OUTSIDE at the fair - crazy girl, crazy, crazy girl.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Glad you appreciate that K-T! And yes, it was on purpose.

It was cold as blue blazes! However cold that is.

12:36 PM  
Blogger JLR said...

mmm. . . fried cheesecake.

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looooove watching the dogs. They're the one thing I missed this year that I'm disappointed about. Hast nachos were the season passes we used to get in free...I wonder if they would've given us nachos for free if we had shown them? But I am not jealous of you being outside yesterday. Brrrr!!!

Damfe. My word verification. Sounds like a foreign cuss word.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

And this blog was supposed to be "family friendly". thaaaaanks Blogger.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Looks like fun! Chilly, but fun! At least now you understand what I mean when I say, "It's coooooold outside!"

1:33 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

Mmmmm.... sounds delightful! If your definition of delightful is a bloated tummy! :)

Why is it that we just can't say no and then later we regret it? I am the worlds worst about it.

Looks like you had a good time despite the overindulgence, but that is what the fair is all about - Thank Heaven it is only once a year!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Chad said...

I'm glad you had the chance to "enjoy" yourself. I didn't get to partake in as many fried delights this year. So much the better for me. I have a hard time with acid reflux. To me, the State Fair is deep fried death.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

yeah, Eddo, the key word is "ONCE" a year. But nooooo, I had to go TWICE.

ugh.

tipgngdt - tip green, Gidget!

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I somehow managed to eat almost an ENTIRE bag of popcorn at work today. blugh. Too many carbohydrates...I feel sluggish now. (And why do they have snacks for us here??? I think they're purposely doing this, so they can mock us later for feeling too tired to complete our tasks)

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww..I would have came home with a baby duck in my purse.

3:36 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

hey! was that the pig that is the size of a couch and has a scrotum the size of bowling balls? roger was telling me about his find at the fair this year with his work-outing.

and the nachos? love the texas shapes. but the cheese looks like mustard. lots of thick mustard.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Jes, I'm not quite sure how to answer that. The pot-bellied pig rather large, but what you see is what I saw. I did not ask him to stand up so that I could examine his nether region. I don't think that's physically possible for a pot-bellied pig, but that's just my guess!

tyhyr - tire.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Fun!!!!!!! I'm actually hungry!

7:19 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

I thought that the picture with all the ducks was a picture of the "Deep Fried Duck" Stand.

Just kidding.

5:35 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Ok am I the only one that thinks it is HILARIOUS that Jessica brought up that pigs ummm privates and then JCol, sweet innocent JCol called it the nether region - OMW JCol you are so not as innocent and you lead us all to believe

7:07 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

wha???? me????

innocent as a dove, sly as a serpent.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I had to read it twice, because I really didn't think she said that at first! lol! Amstaff... your reaction was way too cute!

8:36 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Steph - Note that Roger made up the analogy and then Jes repeated it because she couldn't help herself.

It was a tag-team effort.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

And I thought the highlight of your day was sitting in my office. Because the smell of dead rat always helps one make a good first impression!

Alas. Meeting me didn't even make the post. We are in a fight. I am officially ignoring you for the next 11.75 minutes. So, HA!

9:09 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Deals, I was super excited to meet you. The rat - not so much.

I was just trying to protect your privacy, that's all.

Please come back!!!

worqer - worker!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Nunzia said...

nice! i feel like i got to go to one now myself. thanks for takin us along for the ride.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

:P

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home