Friday, October 14, 2005

The Weekend Ends With A Bang


After leaving the AAC, Eddo, Roger and Jes all piled into my little car and headed off to the State Fair of Texas with Jubal and K-T following us. We found our parking spot and entered the fairgrounds. The pleasant mixture of fried food and cotton candy greeted our nostrils. It was super crowded, and we after purchasing our coupons, we headed straight for the Fletcher's Corny Dog stand. It was time to give Jubal his introduction to corny dogs as opposed to pronto ups. He even tried one filled with jalepeno and cheese, the brave soul that he was. Unfortunately, he was not accepted by the fair as a participant in the corny dog eating contest, but he would have been a sure-fire winner because he downed his second one before I was half way through my first one.








The fact is, we all enjoyed the fried cornmeal goodness that accompanies each bite of a corny dog. All but Roger that is, who put ketchup on his. I mean, how good can THAT taste? One line of mustard for me please.











Jubal's next mission was to get his photo taken with Big Tex. I'm not sure who's belt buckle is bigger, but he here is posing with Eddo. I think they're trying to intimidate Big Tex. Or Me. I'm not sure.














Then it was time for more fried food. In this case, the fried Snickers. Too rich for my blood.
















After consuming the fried greatness, we got in line for the Texas Star. It's a huge ferris wheel that provides a great view of the fairgrounds, and of Dallas. It said that is seats 6. I think it meant 6 people under the age of 10 that have never eaten corny dogs or any time of fried food, because we were chummy to say the least. Can you see the Cotton Bowl in the background? Where the famous TX-OU game is played?








The sad thing about this photo is that we're not even leaning in or scrunching in for the photo. This is how were actually sitting. Chummy, we were. It was like a bunch of Tweety birds in a cage.









Here's the view from up above. The amphitheatre in the background hosts the Birds of the World show. During the show, they let release an eagle or hawk or some large bird and it swoops from the top of the ferris wheel down to the hand of the trainer that is standing on the stage holding a treat. It's amazing. The famous Big D skyline is in the background.







How can you not think of God's grace at the fair when you're walking behind Jubal?


















Jubal decided that one little taste of Eddo's turkey leg wasn't enough, so they began to fight over it.














Before he left, Jubal had to sink his teeth into the coveted Fried Peanut Butter and Banana sandwich. It was the perfect ending to a great weekend.

posted by Amstaff Mom | 6:13 AM




18 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Ha ha ha you called them "pronto UPS" hahahhaha, I'm sure it was just a typo but it makes it so funny. Don't change it at all.

7:07 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Ha ha, How funny is it that the driving force of this post is the amount and type of food that Steve ate?

Funny stuff here JCol - you are a witty riot with some of your comments.

:)

7:09 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Rats! Pronto ups. I'm so going to get ridiculed by that.

I know, I felt like I did that day was take photos of Jubal eating.

But isn't that the best part of the fair?

I think I made two changes since you viewed the post. Fixed the dialogue on one and posted the picture of Jubal's legs on the other. I had to crop the photo first otherwise it looked like I was just taking a picture of his backside. Not near as bad as Roger zooming in for a photo of his belt buckle, but strange, to say the least.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Hahahahaha, I noticed the pic of the tats in your kodak collection and had a fleeting moment of wondering if you were in fact taking a picture of his hiney (it sounds so innocent when you use the word hiney) and yes the belt buckle picture is funny and yet a bit weird (especially since Roger took it - ahahahahahaha)

8:33 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I have to keep my blog "family friendly"!

No rear shots of Jubal.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

lol I hope the pics never end! These are great!

9:05 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh and seriously: Did y'all have to ROLL Steve out of the fairgrounds? Sheesh!

9:22 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Duede, seriously. He was rollin'.

Sadly, this the last of the pics.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

Really? That much fried food?

The funny thing is that on Sunday I brought my mother and boyfriend with me to the fair. I bet we were all at the Fletcher's stand about the same time (I don't eat corny dogs, but mom and the boy toy do).

Then JLR, RR, my mom and the boy toy all went to the BIRD show (probably about the same time all of you guys were on the Farris Wheel). I didn’t go because I was working, but I did get to go to the PIG RACES and to the DOG SHOW (Frisbee dogs are SO cool).

I have yet to meet Elsie, but I get to park next to her “dressing room,” so I get to wave HELLO to her most mornings.

I cannot believe all of you guys came to the fair and didn’t take advantage of our FREE TICKETS and/or ROCK STAR PARKING. Because, you know, we have both. Nothing like parking next to the Chevy Stage, baby!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Deals - Sadly, our lines of communication were down. Because free parking and coupons and tickets are so up my alley. Maybe next time.

jbhel - JUBAL!!! How appropriate is that?!!? It makes me smile. :)

9:44 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Oh Stephanie because of my complete lack of direction that weekend he had to walk off his food as we searched for my car from the far corners of the earth. I will say that he enjoyed a fried food induced nap on the way to the airport.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

That's hilarious you guys...

I will absolutely be on the first plane down next time - I just could not possibly miss all the fun TWICE!! But thanks for sharing in all your weekend adventures! It kind of makes me feel like I was there! lol

And seriously: What is with the "e" in Deude? or Duede? Or however you folks are spelling it. What's the story behind that?

10:41 AM  
Blogger Edgy Mama said...

Thanks for the great photos. I'm jealous...again.

1:50 PM  
Blogger steve said...

the DUEDE comes from me steph. Its how I say it... think of how you would say "eeeewwww" when you are looking at something really gross and you will be able to "hear" how the dueeeeeewwwwde is said.

this was a glorious representation of how a man gains 10 pounds over a weekend in Texas

2:02 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

So proud of you Jubal, for being a good sport. We provided it, or recommended it, and you ate it. The trust was there.

Been listening to your music for the last hour. LOVE it.

ynzgez - youngin's and geezers

2:16 PM  
Blogger Using up the words.... said...

Woweeee... how I miss the whole "Corndog" thing! No one knows what i'm talking about over here. Instead they have a Battered hot dog, which just doesn't compare. I'm all for Ketchup on my corn dog though! yummy!
Sounds like you guys had an awesome day! Wohooooo! fried food and all.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

I just love coming back here to reminisce - and it's only been a week!

See you manana!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

My tummy hurts just reading about all the food!

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home