Monday, January 30, 2006

Helping Hands (or why my biceps still hurt)


On Saturday morning, (not so bright but very early on Saturday morning), Brian and I got up to meet with a crew to go on a service project in west Texas. That area was devastated with the wildfires so a large group (50 or so) of all ages caravanned out west to where the tumbleweeds roll. As we got within about 10 miles of the town, I began to wonder if we had made the 3 hour trip for nothing, and then we hit the "city" limits. This poor town was devastated by the wildfires the day after Christmas. The ground was pitch black everywhere. The wind had picked up while the fire was spreading, so much so, that one lady told us that it looked like tornadoes of fire. They jumped the road, spreading everyone and yet being random in their pattern. Sometimes it was just a yard that was scorched, other times, several homes were destroyed. The United Methodist Church was less than a slab. This small town lost over 130 homes.

Thankfully though, the donations have been pouring in. So much so, that they turned a former nursing home into a donation center, and you couldn't get through the aisles for all the donations. It was completely overwhelming. A large bathroom and a 15x15 room were so stuffed that you could not enter the room, and it was stacked from floor-to-ceiling with bags and boxes of donated clothing. We put the clothing in commercial sized trash bags and took them to another facility to be sorted, and it took 3 trips in a stock trailer to unload it all. This is in addition to all the clothing in the hallways and rooms that have already been sorted.

Brian and I headed a crew of 5 college guys and by the time we'd fill the bags, they weighed around 50 lbs. That's alot of Wrangler jeans! At the drop off point, we'd form an assembly line and "toss" the bags to the next one down the line. Fine for college-aged guys. Not so fine for me.

We had a full day (6am to 4pm) but the trip was definitely worth it. It felt good to help a town so much in need and the head volunteer that we met was very kind and had been putting in full days, 7 days a week for no pay for a month now. A true servant. Please pray for those affected by the fires, they've lost all of their material possessions. We have alot to be thankful for.

posted by Amstaff Mom | 9:35 AM




6 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

wow, all I got last night was "It was good and I'm sore". Great to see your servant heart in action. JCol that is one thing I love about you, you act on your servant heart.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Lia said...

That's an amazing and necessary thing to do - and all the pain is worth it. I know I have no right to say that, since I'm not the one in pain :).

Kudos for your hard work!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

Three cheers for JCol and Brian...

Hip, Hip, Horray!
Hip, Hip, Horray!
Hip, Hip, Horray!

You guys are awesome! I second Katie's comment about your "servant heart" and Lia's "Kudos". :)

1:11 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

*blushes sheepishly*

I didn't mean for this to be bring myself kudos, but I am just so very thankful that we weren't exposed to hurricanes and fires last year.

But I do appreciate your cheers and kudos. Y'all are too kind.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

and JCol we don't say it because it sounds good or we want to inflate your head, I say it because it is true and something that I admire in you and something that shows me the true nature of your heart

2:20 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

Sounds like a good time. I do enjoy service projects, it feels good sometimes to get your hands dirty.

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home