Tuesday, January 24, 2006

On My Soapbox


Normally my blog is filled with useless information about me and the goings on in my life. Every once in a while I get on my soapbox and my blog becomes a sounding board for my feelings, opinions and thoughts. This is probably useless information as well, but I shall post them anyways. Brian, K-T and I went to go see End of the Spear on Sunday, as both K-T and I mentioned in yesterday's posts. Yesterday afternoon, someone mentioned to me that the actor that plays the main characters, Nate Saint and Steve Saint as a grown man, is gay. Because of this, some Christian groups are boycotting the movie and saying that anyone who supports the movie is really not a Christian.

What are my thoughts on this? It doesn't change my opinion of the movie one iota. It was a fantastic movie, and they did a wonderful casting job of it as well. There were probably quite a few non-Christians that took part in the making of this movie, just as there were alot that took part in the making of the Passion of the Christ. What better way to reach out to the actors than for them to take part of the gospel message?

The thought of Christians boycotting a "Christian" movie baffles me. Am I missing something here? Aren't we shooting ourselves in the foot? I know that every group has it's fringe or radicals, or far-lefts or far-rights, but the very idea is incomprehensible to me. Since we are to use God's Word as our guide, here are verses that stand out to me.

Mark 2:15-17
While Jesus was having dinner at Levi's house, many tax collectors and "sinners" were eating with him and his disciples, for there were many who followed him. 16When the teachers of the law who were Pharisees saw him eating with the "sinners" and tax collectors, they asked his disciples: "Why does he eat with tax collectors and 'sinners'?"
17On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."


Romans 14:9-13
9For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. 10You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat. 11It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' " 12So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.
13Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brother's way.

Matthew 5:43-47

43"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

In an attempt to not judge those that I feel are judging, I make a plea. To remember that we are all sinners, and that we are saved through Christ who judges all men equally.

Romans 12:18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

Thanks for listening.

posted by Amstaff Mom | 7:59 AM




11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I mean, seriously. Why is being gay always the number one sin these days? Doesn't the Bible talk about this? I'm sure there were "Christians" on the set who were gossipers or liars. This is why ppl think Christians are weird sometimes. Boycotting a Christian movie? You have got to be kidding me!

10:11 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

well put my dear friend, I'm standing on the soap box next to you

10:34 AM  
Blogger David Edward said...

tell it sister!

i had not heard of this movie,
so now you are a news and info site as well as a movie reviewer!

11:09 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Well said! I have heard of this movie and people are going to boycott it because of a gay actor?!

Maybe they should be removing their plywood contacts first.

Luke 6:41
41"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?

11:54 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

plywood contacts. ha ha ha

Although, that's what it feels like when I get a mascara-covered eyelash on my gas permeables. youch. and touche!

12:23 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

I agree.

12:53 PM  
Blogger steve said...

I was amazed when I heard this...

Christians that give Christians a bad name. These are the same people that dont associate outside of christian friends. Cuz thats what Jesus would do...

Right?

Right?

4:14 PM  
Blogger amelia said...

Preach it sista!! Can't wait to go see it. Steve, Mincayana and Temente spoke at the Christian organization we worked at when they toured the U.S. It was phenomenal!

4:21 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

Rock On JCOL! I think one of your spiritual gifts may be teaching. You always have a way of sharing information without stepping on toes. I am always receptive to what you have to say.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Jcol

I don't know where to begin on this. First I will say I think that whomever is saying that someone who sees this film is not a christian is in the wrong and definitly being legalistic. However I will state that I am one of the people who is not seeing it. Let me explain why and it might make more sense. When I heard that Chad Allen was playing the lead I did some research and found that he not only is Gay(not the issue) but he is one of the biggest Hollywood Gay advocacy front runners. He also had an adgenda in doing this film to "bridge the gap between the gay community and the Christian church." This is where I started to have a problem with it, the motive behind him being in it. My other issue is the reasons the producers chose him for the role, someone there was reading the advocate a Gay rights magazine. My curiosity states, why would the heads of a Chritian film company be reading a gay rights magazine.... They saw an article in there on Chad and said that the values that he spoke of are like that of Nate Saint and he was just the person, that article had one or two moral statements in it and the rest was about his gay adgenda

I am not a biggot, but as a believer I do believe that Homosexuality is a sin and my concern lies with the younger generation that will go see this film. Typical teens will go home and check out the movie stars website. His personal web page is full of pro gay adgenda and advocacy. So what is the 15 year old going to think when they see a christian film love it go to Chad Allen's website because he did such a great job in the film and see Gay pictures and articles and such. It sends a very mixed and un biblical message.

I have no doubt that the movie was awesome. I just finished reading "Through the Gates of Splendor", a biography on Jim Elliot, as well as watching the documentary "Beyond the Gates of Splendor", not knowing the film was coming out. I was excited about seeing the film, but when I saw an unbiblical agenda behind the film that is where I started to have a problem.

I hope that you all will take this into consideration.

Your Sister in Christ
Holly

2:07 PM  
Blogger tonymyles said...

I can't read this post because it has the word "gay" in it.

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home