Monday, January 23, 2006

Weekend with Bloggers


I spent the weekend with my friends and family. Many of these friends being those that I met through blogging. Friday night, I met JLR and RR for some shoe shopping, where our intentions were to find RR some running shoes. We went to DSW and then we decided to go to Run On! to get fitted by the professionals. I needed to go to Run On! to pick up my race packet and so I thought I would go ahead and get fitted for real running shoes myself. As of right now, my intentions are to keep jogging, and hopefully increasing my distance to a half-marathon someday, so I figured it would be an investment to get proper fitting shoes. The focus at the store is to find the best fit for your foot, so they have you walk back and forth to see exactly how you walk. I haven’t had my foot measured since I was a kid, so after taking my measurements and telling me that I walk on the outside of my feet and then roll in, he picked out three pairs of shoes for me to try on. I found a perfect pair and made my purchase.

After saying goodbye to JLR and RR, I headed to Campisi’s to meet Roger, Jes, K-T, Eddo, and Cat for dinner. We heartily consumed slices of garlic toast and pizza, and enjoyed the fellowship of friends. Roger, Jes and K-T then went and saw End of the Spear while Cat and I went home to get a good night’s rest before the big race in the morning.

Saturday morning, we got up at 7 to get ready for the Too Cold to Hold Race. It was a 15k around White Rock Lake. I met Cat and her friend at the race as well as Deals and her boyfriend. I had met Deals in person once before and so it was really nice to get to talk to her and her boyfriend both before and after the race. The four of them cheered me on when I crossed the finish line of the race, finishing in 1 hour and 47 minutes. It had been a windy and cold morning, which did not work in our favor for the race, but we all did a great job, and I’m still sore this morning to prove it.

Yesterday afternoon, K-T, Brian and I went to go see End of the Spear together. I had read the Jim Elliott version of the story back in jr. high, but seeing the movie with the breathtaking scenery and a powerful story made it a must-see. This movie was really well done, and I hope to see it again soon. I highly recommend this film, and look forward to seeing the documentary of it as well.

posted by Amstaff Mom | 7:08 AM




8 Comments:

Blogger Eddo said...

Sounds like a great weekend. I spent 12 hours of my day with the ManiAACs, but it was a fun 12 hours.

Yesterday I got a surprise call from one of my best friends from Alabama. He did the program back in '99. It really capped off the weekend getting to spend an hour talking with him and his wife at Maggie Moo's.

I wish I could have ran with you guys too, but I am so thankful that I didn't. I didn't get in until 2AM that night from Stephenville.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

I just told Jes and I will tell you if you want to borrow our copy of Beyond Gates of Splendor you are welcome to.

Holly

7:23 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Eddo - glad you had a great weekend too.

Holly - I will definitely take you up on your offer. I was wondering if I was going to be able to find a copy.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Wheee, I like that I made two appearances in your "weekend with bloggers"

8:30 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Wow, this must have been quite a movie! I've seen it reviewed on three blogs this morning already, and KT raved about it this weekend (but only after I raved about The Chronicles! lol!)

I guess I'll have to make it a point to check it out!

Glad you had fun shopping, eating, and racing! Sounds like you had quite a packed weekend!

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Makes me wanna actually meet some of my blogger friends...

9:31 AM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

My favorite part of the race (and I am being sarcastic here) was when I was in sight of the nine mile marker. The wind was blowing SO hard and there was a moment when I actually thought that I was running in place.

Ug.

I think that I'll seriously consider...I dunno'...training? for the next race that I run in the future. Around the 7 mile mark my calves were seriously contemplating a mutiny, and I think that I'd like to avoid that sensation in the future.

Too bad that we didn't run together! I kept thinking that you were in front of me (especially after I stopped to use the port-a-pot around mile number 5. There was a line, so I got a five minute break), so I was surprised when I finished before you.

Cat didn't even look like she had been running, though. No sweat or anything. I guess that's what happens when you are in good shape...!

12:38 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Deals - training would have been an excellent idea. Considering that the last time that I've jogged over 4 miles was back on THANKSGIVING. ugh. Stairs, getting up from my chair, and just taking a step in a forward direction is difficult at this point. It's funny, the soreness seems to be in a different leg muscle each time.

I almost yelled at you when we first started because you had just passed me. Then I thought I would catch up with you, but I never did, so I didn't try to yell. I didn't want to slow you down.

Even my arms were sweating. Yea, Cat was telling her friend before they raced, that "it's just a workout". In order to psych up her friend since they "hadn't been training". What was a huge feat for me IS their normal training. geesh.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home