Wednesday, February 08, 2006

10 Years Ago on Sunday


I met this guy. His name was "Brian". I had heard about Brian through my sister, who was best friends with Brian's little brother. I had even seen pictures of Brian, in a tux no less, after my parents photographed his twin's wedding. My interest was piqued, but there was one large problem. I was in a four-year relationship with someone else.

On February 11, 1996, I saw him in church, sitting on the other side of the sanctuary. I even prayed during the service that if it was God's will, that I would get to meet him after church. But then he took off, and I didn't know if I would see him again. I was behind him as he walked down the hill to his truck. He had a brand-new midnight blue Chevrolet Z-71 that was was parked next to my little Olds.

As we walked down the hill I was quite a bit behind him but in my wee little voice I yelled, "Are you Brian?". He turned and I introduced myself. It was a very quick greeting and then he got in his truck and drove off. I thought "that didn't go well at all". When I got home I told Cat that I had finally met Brian, but that I didn't think he thought anything of it and that I bet that he wouldn't even mention it to his brother.

A few nights later, when Cat was talking to his brother on the phone as usual, Brian got on the extention and started teasing them as he would from time to time. But this time Cat asked me to pick up the extension on our phone. So the four of us talked for a little while and then what do you know, our siblings dropped off the phone, leaving just the two of us to talk. And we did, for several hours. I enjoyed the conversation immensely and was still excited about it when I went to work the next day. We talked again the next night and then I had the brilliant idea that Cat and I would bake the brothers a cake for Valentine's Day.

The cake was a disaster. It didn't take well to the trip up to the church since Valentine's was on a Wed. that year and his brother would be at church where we would deliver it. Crumbs were in the car, they were on their mom's desk at the church. It wasn't a pretty sight. But that night when we talked on the phone, they were gobbling it up.

The next day, I made a decision. It was a very difficult one for me but it was the right one to make. I called my best friend/boyfriend and broke up. It was very, very hard. But in my heart I knew that it was right. I loved him, but I wasn't in love with him anymore. And I had feelings for Brian that I hadn't ever felt before.

Brian and I dated for four months. During that time it was wonderful being with him, but with our parents disapproving of our relationship and with complications with my ex-boyfriend, we decided it was best to take a break. Of at least 6 months. We were both crushed, but it was needed. I look back at those 6 months of pain and hard times, and see just how much I grew then.

We began dating again in October of 1996, right about the time that I had given up on us ever being together again. August of 1998 we were engaged and we have been married for 6 1/2 years.

I love you Brian, with all of my heart.

posted by Amstaff Mom | 5:47 AM




13 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

so sweet

7:33 AM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

Awe!

(except I got to the bottom of your post and saw the title of yesterday's post, which was "Brain...hurts...". I was immediately like, "Oh, no! What happened to Brian?!" Then, I realized that yesterday you were talking about your BrAIn and today you are talking about your BrIAn - apparently it is going to be one of those days...!)

8:46 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

DEALS I thought the same thing but didn't say it, well because I thought I was the only one, but you thought it too, so there would be two of us who thought it so now I will admit I thought it

sorry JCol, random day with random comments

But will will echo the AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW of Deals about this sweet post

9:00 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I see where y'all are getting that. Two words that I NEVER type right when I type at normal speed.- "Brain" and "Prairie". I don't know why, but it's true.

Hope I wasn't being too sappy. 10 years is a milestone for me though.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

I like romantic stories like this... because I enjoy seeing people in love with their spouses.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Lia said...

Deals (and Katie) - I did the same thing! So I'm the third to admit it.

I think it's amazing that you could be so sure that you were right about Brian that you were able to break up with the previous. That surety is a real blessing!

Congrats on an important anniversary.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Awwww!!! Congrats! So sweet.

I love reading sweet stories on how people get together!

**hugs**

11:25 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

that is really! really! sweet.

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That makes me feel good inside.

~Jef

3:07 PM  
Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

Jcol, that was so incredibly sweet and he is adorable!

I was so sorry to hear Eddo and Cat broke up. She is such a sweetie, and I will be praying for her and Eddo to find God's perfect will.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Thank you Everyone!

LLL, I will be praying for them as well. Thank you for your kind words.

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. That cake. I remember it crumbling EVERYwhere. Was that seriously 10 years ago???? So much for my previous "I'm not old" comment.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

How did I overlook this post!!! So sweet, I love you and Brian and I love it when couples are in love.

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home