Monday, February 06, 2006

I'm back


I haven't posted in awhile, as you well know. Just haven't had much to say I guess. If anyone is interested, here is a recap of my weekend.

Friday - Went dress shopping with K-T. I was the only one that ended up finding something. No formal dress, but a fun top from Banana Republic that cost me $4.99. Regular price: $68.00. Go me. I was super excited. Just ask K-T. We had fun combing the racks of $400+ dresses, and then seeing on the clearance racks dresses that looked more like something Elvis or Sgt. Pepper would have worn. Hideous, indeed. We went to Gloria's for dinner and enjoyed our Salvadoran dishes. Mmmmm, tamales. Barnes & Noble and Starbucks closed the evening. I am now hooked on Toffee Nut Lattes, having consumed two this weekend. No whip, non-fat, decaf please.


Saturday - Lazed around, did laundry, worked on cutting a million, no, make that two million pieces for my rag quilt. Went to mom and dads for a spaghetti dinner and a game of wahoo.

Sunday - Went to church, where I watched the lady sign in ASL. Good gracious her fingers were flying. I know how to fingerspell now and I couldn't even follow what she was signing. Maybe if I practice long enough and hard enough, someday, SOMEDAY, I'll be half that fast. I hope.

I seriously need some sewing machine lessons. I had my quilt pieces all cut out, and laid on my living room floor, so I decided to get out the sewing machine and start putting it all together. That's as far as I got. I had a sample piece that I kept trying to sew and the machine would make a horrible noise, the cloth would get stuck, and I'd have to cut the thread. I know there's something wrong with how I did the bobbin, yet for the life of me I can't figure out what's wrong.
I was so excited about starting on my quilt and now I can't even sew it. GRRRR.

That's what I get for attending a private school that didn't offer home economics, I guess.

That's my latest and greatest. Hope everyone has a good day.

posted by Amstaff Mom | 9:10 AM




12 Comments:

Blogger amelia said...

Hmmm...if you still have the book for your sewing machine, pull that out and look over how to thread the machine and the bobbin. If not, try looking online for instructions.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

I had fun too on Friday night, shopping, good food, and a great friend, it doesn't get much better than that

And i finally got the book I was looking for, you know the one on seniors . . . . ahahahaha so much laughter

10:08 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Amelia - I have studied that page so much and I still can't get it. :( (I did have to look up what a bobbin was when I first got started, that's how much of a novice I am).

K-T, I agree. GT's. Enjoy your senior reading. HA HA HA HA. Man, I busted a gut right there at Barnes & Noble.

11:02 AM  
Blogger chirky said...

shopping for formal dresses? am i missing something?

11:32 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

Any news on your job interview?

2:05 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Any news on your job interview?

2:05 PM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

Yeah, I'm lacking in the "craftiness" department.

Actually, I'm "domestically impaired", if you must know. I can't cook, iron or sew. Correction: I can cook, but no one (but me) will eat it. I can iron, but my clothes will forever bear a singe mark. And, I can sew, but it looks like a five year old did it (and the button never lines back up with the hole).

Alas.

The key to formal wear shopping is to bring the appropriate undergarments with you on your shopping trip. Of course, I never actually do this – but I can see how it could help. Every woman should own a corset and a pair of those tummy-tucking, thigh-slimming underpants that look vaguely like biker spandex. We’re talking miracles, people. Miracles.

2:19 PM  
Blogger L said...

I found your blog through kpinion. I just got a shirt from Banana for $15.99 that had been $68.00. I wonder if it was the same one. What a deal, either way! I left with 4 shirts for $40.

2:54 PM  
Blogger steve said...

Did someone say "Shopping"???

Can we watch "The Notebook" after?

4:00 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Jes - K-T went to a formal dinner dance. She did find a dress, and from the pics, she looks FABULOUS.

Holly - Still no news. They haven't filled it yet, but don't know what's taking so long.

Deals - No lie, when my husband told my dad of his intentions to propose to me, he said "she can't even boil water". I could, but that was the first excuse he could come up with as to why we shouldn't get married. Nice eh? So do you pass that test?

I'm not sure about the corset/bike shorts combo. Although I praise their miraculous ways, I'm not sure I want my husband to see me in this combo. Because I don't even want to picture myself in it.
I'll have to think about it.

Laura - Welcome! And congrats on your finds!

Jubal - I think your closet is calling for another pair of shoes. I know mine always does.

5:06 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Deals you speak the brutal truth that I did not think of on the first trip, but practice makes perfect and I was well prepared for my purchase excursion with all the proper tools

6:54 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

p.s. thanks JCol for the sweet compliment, but don't tell brian you said it or well you know

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home