Wednesday, March 29, 2006

FREAK.ME.OUT.


Warning: Not for the faint of heart, or The Easily Grossed Out (TEGO or Me/Yo)

There were two paragraphs in the attached article that FREAKED.ME.OUT. Has anybody else ever heard of this??? A baby born with two fetuses inside of it - the result of incomplete triplets??? "Doctors removed two fetuses from a 2-month-old girl. The fetuses were originally triplets, but two of them grew inside the third and died there about halfway to term. The dead fetuses weighed two pounds. Such "fetus-in-fetu" cases occur twice in every million births."

Or the baby girl born with two heads, the results of "incomplete twinning??? "The Egyptian girl was born with a parasitic twin head attached to her own, the result of incomplete twinning. The parasitic head "was capable of smiling and blinking but not independent life."

http://www.slate.com/id/2138726/


ugh. full body shiver. ugh!!! I could NEVER be in the medical profession. EVER.

posted by Amstaff Mom | 7:43 AM




11 Comments:

Blogger Aim Claim said...

yikes... that is quite a disturbing thought.

9:18 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

wow that is strange and yet intriguing

9:36 AM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

JLR tried to absorb RR. That's why RR couldn't come home from the hospital for two weeks (and consequently the reason why JLR is the dominant twin, despite the fact that RR is older and likes to sweat).

I have a lump on my neck at the base of my skull. Sometimes I think it is my twin. RR disagrees, but still refers to it as my "twin" anyway.

Did you never see the movie MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING? The crazy aunt had an absorbed twin, too (not that I actually have one or anything, but you know...)

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd heard about the parasitic twin but not the triplets within the twin thing before. *shivers*
cat

7:32 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I think this is still freaking me out and that I shouldn't have read my own blog before bedtime. It's the whole parasitic twin that could smile thing that gets me the most. heebie-jeebies!!! Ugh.

Hmmm, I wonder to what extent this "absorbtion" can happen. My hubby is 5'6" and his twin is 6'1". Hmmmmm. But unlike JLR and RR, there's not really a DT and NDT. But maybe that's because they don't resemble each other at all. They just happen to have been born 7 min. apart and think EXACTLY alike.

Cat - *shivers* is exactly right.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

wow that is so sad. I have always wondered why. I mean God created us, is this a result of sin, is it the curse of our sinful nature? Why does God allow this to happen? I have difficulty understanding all this, it is much bigger than I am. I will probably never understand.

2:17 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Yes, I've heard of them. There are even cases of adults who find out late in life that they had an incomplete twin growing inside of them. My best friend Ozma's mother had that happen to HER, and had it surgically removed when she was in her late 40s/early 50s. It didn't have a brain, but apparently there were parts that were inside her body cavity.

3:51 AM  
Blogger Lia said...

too freakish. it's really sad that the egyptian kid only survived for a year. she looked really cute.

10:35 AM  
Blogger steve said...

I have a twin in my belly! He is growing and I hate him

11:24 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Jubal - are you sure that's not your "womb leaping"?

tee-hee.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I am with you. GROSS!!!!!! And I could never EVER be in the medical profession.

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home