Thursday, March 09, 2006

Signing My Heart Out


When I first started learning to sign, Deals shared with me a hilarious story of how she signed during an interview because she had been practicing her signing constantly. Now, I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND what she was talking about. I'm signing to everyone these days. And maybe, just maybe, if I get good enough, I'll sign to you via Castpost. But not yet. It's been so fun though, because I'm actually teaching others some signs. Fun!

Today, in the cafeteria, I met my deaf friend for lunch. One of the cashiers has seen my signing with him yesterday, so today she asked me if he was indeed my friend. She wanted to know his name and how to sign "hi". How fun! I've introduced him to my friends, showed him where I worked, and the other departments. So now I've been able to teach him things too!

What's scary is that when people are talking to me, I'm picturing the signing in my head. That or I'm actually signing. I've even tried interpreting for my friend a few times, but it is hard to think of the words and translate them into ASL. I think I would thoroughly enjoy becoming an interpreter for the deaf, I just don't know when I would find the time and money to go to school. It's 36 college hours for a certificate in ASL. When you combine that with already being gone 11 hours a day with work, and then the colleges are at least 45 min. away, it's very difficult to plan for. We'll see though.

Meanwhile, I'm all about non-verbal communication, even when I'm not blogging. (Which I realize I've been slacking on lately, but work has been exceptionally busy lately). So watch out people, if you see me, I'll probably start teaching you signs next!

posted by Amstaff Mom | 12:54 PM




8 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

You can sing "Ben is Cool!"

Just for fun.

:)

2:14 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Sign... You can sing it too.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

See! I TOLD you! People think you are crazy until it happens to them, too! Yey!

I'm so worried that the next time I see you, you are going to expect me to be able to sign something "intelligent" to you. It has been four years since my last ASL class, and now my vocabulary is rather limited. Again, my favorite words are "airplane", "car", "poop" and the phrase "I have to go to the bathroom". :P

3:02 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

That is awesome, AmCol! :-) I can sign a little, but it's harder for me to recognize signs when someone else is doing it.

Rock on, dear lady!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

Non verbal communication can be more than signing. lol! that is cool that you are learning ASL, I used to have all the videos and an ex friend of mine borrowed them and would not give them back, I asked and asked, so let's just say she stole them. I hate to say it, but she instantly become a non friend after that.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Oh you are so lucky to be able to sign. I only wish. I have a deaf friend and we text msg instead. I've never had the time to learn, and she's outta town most of the time anyway. They say when you start speaking in other languages in your head or in your dreams, you've mastered it. Looks like you're 'speaking' sign.

P.S. I finally got you up in my links. Sorry it took so long.

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make me want to learn to sign! I have a feeling I'll be deaf one day, so I should get a head start and learn to sign now.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

ha ha, I think I'm one of those you have taught a bit of signing, although I could use a few more lessons because I already forgot what you showed me, that or my head is so in the clouds I just can't remember what it was I learned

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home