Friday, March 03, 2006

A Song to Sign


No, that wasn't a typo. Our sign language teacher has on the syllabus that we are going to get the opportunity to learn how to sign a song of our choosing. On my way to class last night, I heard one of my favorite worship songs on the radio. Third Day is in concert in Dallas, and I so wish I could go. I've been to two of their concerts and they are the perfect combination of worship and rock. PERFECT.

I think I'm going to cheat and learn some of the words today when I go say "hi" to one of my signing friends. The hearing community is so blessed to be able to have the gift of hearing music. It's something I've taken for granted all my life. To watch the deaf sign in worship is amazing. The expressiveness of their actions reflects what they feel in their hearts.

There is a young woman at our church who has Down's Syndrome. Down's affects her ability to sing, but she has learned to sign and to watch her express her love for her Creator brings much of the congregation to tears. She periodically signs for a singer and even travels to some conferences to share her gift. It is so touching to see.

So here are the lyrics to the song I want to learn to sign...

King of Glory
Lyrics by Mac Powell / Music by Third Day
From the recording: Offerings, Track #1.

Who is this King of Glory that pursues me with his love
And haunts me with each hearing of His softly spoken words
My conscience, a reminder of forgiveness that I need
Who is this King of Glory who offers it to me

Who is this King of angels, O blessed Prince of Peace
Revealing things of Heaven and all its mysteries
My spirit’s ever longing for His grace in which to stand
Who's this King of glory, Son of God and son of man

His name is Jesus, precious Jesus
The Lord Almighty, the King of my heart
The King of glory

Who is this King of Glory with strength and majesty
And wisdom beyond measure, the gracious King of kings
The Lord of Earth and Heaven, the Creator of all things
Who is this King of Glory, He's everything to me
The Lord of Earth and Heaven, the Creator of all things
He is the King of glory, He's everything to me

posted by Amstaff Mom | 6:28 AM




10 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Beautiful words.

I too, think it's beautiful to see someone signing a song. I tend to take for granted the fact that I can not only hear the worship music, but that I can also use my voice to sing to my Creator: there are some out there that aren't as fortunate.

Those who are touched by your heart for them and thier needs are truly blessed my friend!

8:28 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

sweet Jcol, as someone who has stood you you as your worship I know without a doubt that your heart sings with joy at the work of the Lord, and now you get to express that love and worship through sign language, I want to see you sign this beautiful song once you've got it down

And an added bonus, Lisa signed at the Woman of Faith conference this last fall and Jes, Bianca, and I all were in tears watching this beautiful child of the Lord express her love with such passion as she signed along with Avalon

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can just picture that woman with Down's-- they are such gentle and amazing spirits.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Lia said...

I think it's amazing that a woman with Down's is able to learn to sign at all.

Just curious; how do you sign a song differently from anything else? Is there a way to get across rythm (I realize it's kind of hard to sign music)?

8:45 AM  
Blogger chirky said...

ooh. Good song to choose. did i know you were learning to sign?

also, Lisa. the first time i saw her sign a song was at a youth talent night in the high school ministry. it brought tears to my eyes. and everytime i've seen her do it thereafter, i had the same reaction. i love watching her face when she signs. so much joy. more than i expect. am i that joyful when i praise my Lord?

Lisa causes me to look inward.

10:21 AM  
Blogger steve said...

I love that song and play it for worship! We have a deaf ministry at our church and they sit right up front. I get lost in watching them worship while i am playing. It is cool to watch them sign words that I have written

10:58 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Jcol-

If you are signing your posts... it's not working because I am not your new posts. ;)

7:31 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

I am not getting your new posts...

Sheesh!

7:32 AM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

One of my best friends from high school is deaf. Actually, we went to different high schools, but we were the same age and all. Anyway, her name is Haze.

When Haze was little she absolutely refused to learn sign language and rebelled against going to a special school. So, her parents decided to mainstream her with everybody else. Haze didn't want to learn sign because most people don't understand it, and that frustrated her. She thought it was a waste of time and energy, because it limited who she could communicate with on a day to day basis.

Instead of sign, Haze learned to read lips. She’s great at it, and can understand everything someone is saying as long as they are facing her. Plus, her eyesight is amazing (much, much better than 20/20), and she can tell you what people are saying from across the room – even if they are whispering (we had a lot of fun with this when we were younger).

I distinctly remember when Haze got her driver’s license when she turned 16. She wanted to drive EVERYWHERE, which was fine as long as you didn’t have to go with her. It had absolutely NOTHING to do with her ability as a driver (honestly, she is one of the best drivers I’ve ever ridden with). See, Haze loves music. Only problem is that she can’t hear the music. So, you know what she does?...she turns it up so that she can feel it.

Haze doesn't just do this in the car, though. She’s always loved music, and her parents supported this by buying her giant speakers for the stereo in her room. Apparently, when Haze was little, she would just sit for hours – mere centimeters from the speakers – listening/feeling the music. Needless to say, Haze’s room was on the other side of the house…

Haze never ceases to surprise me – mainly because she never lets not being able to hear get in her way. I have always been in awe of her (and a little jealous, too. Haze scored better on the verbal section of the SATs than I did. Actually, she scored the highest out of her entire AP English class). She even ended up at Trinity College up in Connecticut. Smart, smart girl.

Anyway, your post made me think of Haze. She can’t hear, yet she loves to listen to music. I’ve always thought that was special.

Haze did finally learn sign language somewhere along the way (long before I met her). But the only time I ever saw her use it was when she and her sister (who went to the same high school as I did, and was also one of my good friends) got into a fight one day. I forget what they were fighting about, but Haze’s sister (who was legally blind without her glasses or contacts, by the way) decided to ignore Haze and block her out of the conversation (which made Haze really, really mad). Her sister was talking to me with her back to Haze, so that Haze couldn’t read her lips. So, Haze started signing to their mother (apparently Haze’s sister never learned sign, but her mother had). This, of course, drove the sister crazy because she didn’t know what Haze was saying to their mom.

That was when Haze’s mother started to laugh, because the entire situation was so…so…comical somehow. She turned to me – still laughing – and said, “My girls! One is blind, one is deaf and they BOTH use it to their advantage to best the other!” This comment got me to giggle. Meanwhile, Haze and her sister just stopped and stared at us, like we were crazy or something. Then, they started to think about what they were doing – and how ridiculous it was – and it wasn’t long before they joined us.

Anyway, just thought that I would share… :)

9:16 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Deals, you always have wonderful stories, and I enjoy the ASL ones so much. My teacher reads lips and I can figure out some of the words he's saying, but not all of them. I LOVE learning this language.

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home