Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Getting Immersed


Yesterday I had the best sign language lesson yet. About 10 words were voiced during an hour-long lunch with 5 people. WOW. Two deaf people, two interpreters for the Deaf (one was my friend's spouse and the other was our friend), and then me. I was very nervous before we went, just for the intimidation factor alone (they were EXPERTS after all). (And the 2 cups of caffeinated tea didn't help). But everyone was so very nice, and soon I realized I had nothing to worry about. Although I didn't understand everything that was signed, I understood a good portion of it, and enjoyed the signing so very much.

I'd never seen two deaf people sign to each other and it was AMAZING to watch. And to see my friend sign with his wife, who is an AWESOME interpreter was so very fun. I am hoping she will take me under her wing and teach me more ASL, since I don't know it. I know signs, but I'm pretty much signing English at this point, and I will need to learn and master ASL in order to interpet someday. She, on the other hand, interprets for a living so it was like learning from Master Yoda or something. Too cool.

We are hoping to go to one of the Deaf Coffee Chats soon (RR are you signing coffee or Starbucks?) . How fun will it be just sitting around, drinking coffee and signing together.

I've never enjoyed learning so much before this. I'm still in awe of the whole thing!

posted by Amstaff Mom | 11:27 AM




9 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

That is so cool, AM. Immersion is the best way to learn any language. You sink or swim and you realize that you know more than you thought you did.

Glad you're enjoying so much!

11:45 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

whoohoo, go jcol, pretty soon you will be signing up a storm

12:42 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Glad you are enjoying the learning... How do you sign Ben McMinn is the coolest guy on the PLANET (in all capital letters) ...behind your husband that is. If you can sign that... then you will be a "Master Jedi"

7:25 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Sign in capital letters? Oh, Ben McMinn, you ARE crazy.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Ha! I know it! Don't ya just love that about me? :)

12:27 PM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

At least you will know how to sign "I have to go to the bathroom". I'd have to use that sign a lot if ever went to a Deaf Coffee Chat. Coffee does that to me...

12:59 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I am so impressed. You rock, AmCol! It would seem so awesome to have an animated conversation without speaking.

God is using you for awesome things, sweet lady!

**hugs**

8:27 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I am in awe, as well. And I'm in awe of YOU TOO! I think it's terrific, and very dedicated, of you to learn sign language.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

Sounds like a neat adventure!

4:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home