Thursday, May 11, 2006

Strange Weather, Even for Texas


We've had the strangest weather lately. I've lived in Texas all my life and it never ceases to amaze me just how much the weather changes around here. One week it's 101, the next it's 50. One day it's sunny and hot (Tues), the next it's cold (last night I was FREEZING at my nephew's soccer game). In the last week or so, it starts out cool and rainy and then turns to sunny and 80% humidity. That's not even including the storms. 3 people were killed two nights ago from a tornado that was about 40 miles from my house. Two weeks ago something hit our house too. It was either straight-line winds or a tornado that didn't completely touch the ground.

We were watching our Judge Judy episodes on our DVR two weeks ago and had heard that there were storms southwest of us. Then, the tornado sirens started to go off behind our house. I was on the cell ph. with one brother-in-law while Brian was standing by the window. Lightning filled the sky, showing an eerie green color and then POW! something hit the window that was 2 inches from Brian's nose. We high-tailed it for the "potty room", grabbing Abby in the process.

I'm sure we were a sight - our master bath has a separate potty room, with a door, but it was not designed for multiple people. I was standing next to the toilet, still talking to Brian's brother (who was in their closet with his family). Brian was talking on the other phone to his other brother (who was in their bathroom) and the dog is looking at us like we're absolutely nuts.

It passed quickly and so we went outside to inspect the damage. Out of our entire neighborhood, only three houses were hit, ours and our next door neighbors'. It snapped fence posts and large branches like toothpicks, but didn't lift the cover of a sandbox. Very interesting. Thankfully, the damage was minimal...

Obviously Abby was in a full panic.














Fence posts snapped like twigs














Abby surveys the damage.














You just don't see branches wrapped around pickets every day.

posted by Amstaff Mom | 7:52 AM




16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I had no clue anything hit Denton. And I love, love, love that pic of Abby surveying the damage. I just want to wrestle with her! Good thing I'll see her this weekend! :)

9:22 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

The weird thing about is that it didn't "hit Denton". It "hit" 3 houses. And two other houses about a 1/2 mile away from us that are directly diagonal to us. Hmmm.

Yeah, she's looking forward to company!!

She likes to run up and down those stones in the back. She doesn't like wet paws. She wouldn't come out to us in the yard, she just looked at us from there.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

I hate bad weather.

We have basements in Minnesota Though.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

oh gosh JCol i didn't know your house got "hit", we were at the school for our art show when every cell phone started going off and hubbys were calling their wives home, I of course have no hubby to call me home so my mom called (haha), glad to hear ya'll survived

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of Florida.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Tim Rice said...

Storms like that are scary. Fortunately, I have had very few personal encounters with such severe weather though we have had lightning strike our phone off the wall.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

We've had experiences like this too, but we run to the basement for cover, do closets really work? Can't be too helpful when your house gets ripped from the foundation. Maybe you should dig one of those cellar things.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

But a cute Amstaff, though!

4:46 AM  
Blogger Aim Claim said...

cuuuuuuuute doggie!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

i love your dog, I still remember that video where Eddo was trying to lift someone like a human barbell and Abby ran over there and was licking him in the face.

I sure am glad you guys are okay. Are you looking forward to Scotland?

10:08 PM  
Blogger RR said...

I'm glad to hear that your house wasn't badly damaged and that you weren't hurt. Were you frightened? I would have been. I hate tornado season.

Judge Judy? Really?

6:52 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Happy Mother's Day! ;o)

11:33 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Thanks for all the nice comments on my doggie! I am a proud mom.

LLL - Yeah, that video was hilarious. Good times. Yes, I'm very much looking forward to Scotland.

RR - To be truthful, I wasn't scared in the least bit, which seemed to irritate Brian. I was laughing when I was on the phone, and he was like, "hello! this is serious!" and gave me a glare. I think I irritated him that I was so non-chalant about it all. So, to answer your question, no, it didn't scare me.

And yes. Judge Judy.

4:58 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

That is just wierd. Yeah: the weather has been strange around here lately too. It's been cold and about 45-50 everyday. We should be sunny and almost 65-70 by now!

7:46 AM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

I probably would have been outside. With my mom. Taking pictures.

Glad you are okay, and that you have a safe "potty room".

I'm with RR, though. Judge Judy? Really?

6:08 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Deals! I forgot about you and the pictures. If it hadn't have been raining at all different angles, I probably would have been outside.

There will be no more Judge Judy bashing here. She rocks.

4:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home