Friday, September 08, 2006

I'm Still Al-iiiive (sung in my best Eddie Vedder imitation)


Ah, the days of PearlJam in highschool. I was going to make my title "I'm Still Alive!", but then I couldn't help but think of PearlJam when I started typing. At home, there's a dvd of my last week of high school. (Scary, I know!) I took my camcorder to class the last few days and there's a video of us driving madly in a Ford Bronco in the parking garage at school. My friend Jason would never touch the brakes while careening down the 7 story parking garage. Tires squealing, music jamming (this is where I'm Still Alive comes in), the magic 8 ball on the gearshift. A Jcol sandwich between two of my buds all squished together in a Bronco II. Great memories. But would I really want to be 17 again? nahhhh.

I actually hadn't visited my own blog in a week, just viewing your comments in my email account. I guess it really was time for a new post! School is going great, but I'm having some VERY long Tuesday and Thursdays, gone 16 hours those days. Basically just sleeping at home. literally. I'm undergoing a crash course in ASL, but thankfully, my receptive skills seem to be hanging in there. No voicing for almost 5 hours straight, but I undertand most of the conversations going on. I do find it difficult to take notes in an ASL class though. I guess I had never thought about it, but in a "hearing" class, you can keep listening while you take notes. In a "deaf" class, however, you look down at your paper and you miss whatever the instructor is saying. I haven't yet mastered the skill. I've had to videotape myself several times for class, and that is a bit un-nerving. I look like a statue. Not very ASL-like.

ASL is such a beautiful language, but it is definitely a foreign language. I always thought that the deaf read libraries worth of books and that they signed English. Some probably do, but not the majority. The majority read at about a 4th great level and they have a hard time writing English. Not as hard of a time as I do writing in ASL (called glossing). For instance, in English, I'd say "I'm going to the Macaroni Grill for lunch with two of my friends today". In ASL, that would be, TODAY THREE-OF-US GO EAT^AFTERNOON M-A-C-A-R-O-N-I G-R-I-I-L. Clear as mud, right? Yea, for me too.

So, let's see, what other news in my life? Hmmm. I've started the travel arrangements for the next NYC mission trip. I have my ticket for Nov. YEA! After being in the City two weeks ago, I realized how much I miss it. I'm ready to go back soon. It's so alive there, and I have so many great memories of being there with my buds. Good times.

I'm really needing to get into shape, so I went jogging on Wednesday and my thighs are still killing me today. Going down the stairs is the worst. augh! I'm doing a 5k at the end of this month and want to be ready to jog the whole thing. I plan to do the 8 mile Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day, and I really, really want to accomplish my two-year goal of running a half-marathon in Nov. I need to send in my check by Monday if I'm going to do it, so I need to decide if I'm committed to the training or not.

Other than that, life is good. No more trips for work, but I'm still enjoying my new job.

God is Good!

posted by Amstaff Mom | 6:13 AM




1 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

She's Aaaaalllliiiiivvvveeeee

Lot's going on for you Miss JCol

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home