Monday, September 11, 2006

We Will Never Forget
















(photo taken on 8/21/2006)

It's a day we will never forget. We should never forget. The shock, the horror, the anger, the sadness. A country forever changed. Families, friends, co-workers deeply affected. Seeing the pictures again, watching United 93 again last night, being in NYC three weeks ago, the memories come flooding back.

Due to my husband's job, there were several tv's on CNN 24/7 as current events directly affected his job. THAT morning, he saw the initial reports coming in and called me. I remember that I was standing at my supv.'s desk and could see that he was calling in on my line. I just knew something was wrong. After he told me what was happening, I remained glued to the television in the cafeteria. I watched the towers collapse live. I will never forget that sight.

I remember the deafening silence outside. I would normally go walk on my lunch break and since we were only miles from the airport, I was accustomed to planes flying over head every few minutes. I remember walking outside and hearing nothing. That first day that I once again saw a plane flying overhead, my heart leapt with joy. America would survive!

Alot has changed in the last 5 years. Our idea of security, our innocence, the very geography of our country. I have had the privilege of traveling to NYC several times since 9/11 and always feel compelled to visit Ground Zero. It is a somber sight. But it is beginning to heal.

May we keep our country, our leaders, and the families of the heroes of 9/11 in our thoughts and prayers today.

God Bless America.

posted by Amstaff Mom | 8:43 AM




7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is something heartwarming - something reassuring - about listening to other people's stories. Thank you for writing yours.

I bet it was so eerie walking outside and hearing nothing. Just...silence.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

I'm with jes, hearing other's stories makes us feel a little less alone

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We must have been working very close to each other. I was on the north side of the airport. I published my account. That silence was something else wasn't it?

~Jef

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember being in a micro lab and a girl got a call from her mom telling her about it. As soon as I got home I turned on the tv, and saw the second tower collapse soon after. I still want to see united 93. it's on the "to see" list.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

Well said AM, well said.

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed a lot has changed in the last five years. I hope it's for the better.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Eddo said...

Ummm. what? No new post? Que Piensas????!!!!

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home