Friday, October 20, 2006

Surviving


Well, I made it through one of the busiest weeks I've had in a long time. Full of tests, projects, and full-throttle week at work. Now it's time to relax, enjoy the weekend, the weather and the reprieve.

One thing I'm not enjoying is watching my little friend slowly getting worse. I'm known Scootie almost as long as I've known my husband. He's hubby's twin's dog and since he lives next door, we get to see him quite a bit. Scootie is now suffering from tumors growing all over his body. To "try" to slow the tumor growth, he must take medicine. The medicine makes him thirsty. Being thirsty makes him drink alot of water. This makes him pee. Often. So, Scootie is living most of his last days at our house, where there is an ever-accomodating doggie door.

Scootie is beginning to suffer and it absolutely pains me. I love dogs. I really, really do. The fact that I carried around a 3 inch thick AKC book of dogs for most of my elementary years should proove it. Babies scare me. Dogs love me. And the feeling is mutual. So, it's hard for me to say goodbye to ol' Scootie. To those long ears, sad eyes and giant paws. Hang in there buddy. And if it's time to go, it's ok. You've been a good ol' dog.

The AmStaff (and Basset Hound) Mom.

posted by Amstaff Mom | 5:38 PM




9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

**hugs**

I hate that for you, Am. My hubby's old dog is 14 this year, and it's getting close to time for him. Everyone says we'll know... but will we?

I thought of you last night when I was watching Extreme Makeover. One of the participants was a man who is deaf and who (I think) signs for groups of people at events.

He was amazing and was so expressive and they signed so much that I hardly understood any of it. I used to know a little sign language... like Jesus Loves Me and lots of words... but never to have a conversation.

God bless you as you continue your schooling and your journey as wife and doggy mom.

4:18 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Aw, Jayleigh, I wish I had known about that show. I was searching for something to watch last night, and I could have been watching that? Rats!

Thank you for your encouragement!

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww..that is really sad. I had twin dogs who had to be put to sleep when they were really old and sick. That was one of the saddest days of my childhood.

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww poor Scootie. I know how much pets are like family. It really sucks that you have to see him suffer. I'm sorry.

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so sad about scooter. sniff sniff. he's been such a good dog.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

oh poor scooter, he's a cutie and it makes me sad for you that he's hurting

9:33 AM  
Blogger Lorie said...

This is random, but I just read your little "About me" blurb. I once dated a guy who was half Venezuelan, half Polish. You have an interesting heritage. If you haven't already, you should tell the story of how your parents met on your blog. Stories like that are interesting...

11:40 AM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

Awe! I love dogs, too. They are my favorite! It is so sad when they leave us to go up to the "happy hunting ground in the sky" (where the squirrels are slow and the rawhide bones plentiful). I'll have Gypsy Kitty "pray" for Scootie tonight...

2:54 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

aaahhh.. now I see why... so sad.

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home