Monday, January 22, 2007

OK, OK, I'll Post Already


Apologies

Yea, you know you haven't blogged in awhile when you've had your "new" laptop for several weeks and your own blogger address is not "remembered" by the computer when you start typing it in. Because you HAVEN'T typed it in on this computer. Ever. Yeah. It's been awhile.

I do try to stop by your sites though. TRY to at least. But don't always have time for comments. I know, I know, I've been a bad blogger. "Badly done, Emma, badly done".

Boring Stuff

So, what to say. Work is great, but very busy. School started up last week. I'm attending two schools. Well, actually, I'm taking classes at two schools, but one is online, so I'm not actually attending two schools. One class looks to be relatively easy. The other - impossibly hard. Lots of papers, projects, lab time. The Prof. recommended moving into the lab, and just showering in the gym. It will be our new home away from home. Blech.


Fun

What else. I went out for a "Girl's Night Out" last night, and had a great time. All the ladies are quite a bit older than me (we were celebrating a 50th birthday), but they sure know how to have fun. We saw The Queen, and then went to eat at Chili's. 5 of us saw the movie together and two of them just joined us for dinner. The movie is about the Royals, specifically the Queen's reaction to Princess Di's death. One of the ladies at dinner was stating that she didn't really know the impact of Diana's death, as she only heard about it on a short-wave radio. She had been a missionary in Nairobi at the time and only heard about the death. I mentioned that I had been in Oklahoma, and another lady said she had been in New Mexico. One of the ladies that hadn't seen the movie starting laughing, saying we were too funny. We looked at her, puzzled. She thought the movie was about Queen Esther and not Queen Elizabeth. She couldn't figure out how we had heard about her death on a short-wave radio, or in OK and NM. I guess you had to be there, but it was pretty funny.

Tentative Trips

2007 tentative trips in the works - England, Wales, Ireland, Tennessee, Las Vegas and New York
wahoo!

Experienced

I was purchasing a textbook for school last week (a campus bookstore is a FABULOUS place for people-watching, btw). I was making my purchase and took a pen out of my purse to sign my credit card receipt. Standing next to me was an older, toothless lady with stringy hair, hovering over her purchases, and talking on the phone. Suddenly, she started grabbing MY pen out of MY hand. Then she gave it back to me, but started telling me a phone number. It took me by surprise, but then I quickly realized she was wanting ME to write it down for her. I was writing as fast as I could. "My credit card company wanted to make sure someone wasn't using my card" was all I got out of it. No "thank you" or anything. The cashier started snickering and I couldn't help but start laughing. Strange, indeed.

PBS

I came home from the Girl's Night Out around 9pm and found the TV on, but no one home. Not too unusual, but the it was recording Channel 13. Not a channel normally being "DVR'd" in our home. I started watching it (it was a TV - on, in my house, need I say more?) and realized it was Jane Eyre. I watched for awhile and then realized it had been recording for awhile so I hit the rewind button to see how far back it would go. It had all but the first few min., but then it cut off at 10pm and I was so disappointed! I figured I'd watch something else on the DVR and saw that it had purposely been recorded, so I got to finish off the show. Well, I got to finish Part 1, but I can't figure out when Part 2 is showing. Yes, I've read the book several times, but I need to see Part 2 dang it! When Brian came home I asked him if he realized that he had recorded Jane Eyre. He said yes, that my sis had thought I would want to see it and called to tell him to record it for me. Thanks Cat! I was so excited!

Well, that's all for now, I'll try to come back soon.

Latras!

posted by Amstaff Mom | 6:22 AM




16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't bought books in a while, but now they would totally flag me if I bought books. So what's the market like on Amazon for textbooks? My wife is going back to finish her master's and doctorate, would like to know what themarket is like.

Glad you are posting again.

~Jef

7:27 AM  
Blogger JLR said...

Part II of Jane Eyre comes on next Sunday.

7:30 AM  
Blogger JLR said...

p.s. I'm so glad you had time to post something!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Eddo said...

FINALLY!!

Great post too with lots of good information.

The Queen, was it something you would recommend? Fascinating? Boring? informational? I here the lead lady won a golden globe or something.

Go Cat for being thoughtful!

7:42 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Edge - I purchase 3 textbooks online from Amazon for my online class. Very handy dandy. They offered me the one-month trial on Amazon Prime which gave me free 2-day shipping and reduced rate overnight shipping which also saved my hide. I just need to remember to cancel it next week, otherwise I get charged $80 bucks for the subscription.

JLR - My DVR said next Sunday was Part I again, but maybe that was a goof. I recorded it anyways, just in case. YEA!

7:44 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Eddo - it was pretty good. You know I love all things London and British!

I don't know how accurate it was - because there is no way to verify what goes behind those walls. At one point I asked if the movie was about Tony Blair and not The Queen.

Everyone in our group liked it, but we're a specific niche.

The Queen Mother was not cast very well, I don't think, and it's hard to cast for "real/living people" but Helen Mirren did a fabulous job.

I've seen the Queen in real life, having stood on the gates when her car went through, and then getting promptly chastised for it. I watched the Royal Wedding over and over again (having a Welsh grandmother will do that to you).

So, I might be biased, but I liked it.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

Yey! I missed you! Welcome back!

I've been trying to get Trevor to go with me to THE QUEEN, but no luck so far. He dragged me to see PRIMEVAL on Saturday, though, so he owes me big time.

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh goodness. When I had to register for my class...I was standing there in awe of the weirdness of people. I felt like Jeff Foxworthy in that state fair skit. "we're doing alright...we're dang near royalty!". Yeah. There's definitely some loons out there.

Glad you fully enjoyed Jane Eyre. I was quite excited when I read that it was coming on. The parentals came in around 930 and were trying to make heads or tails of it. Mother's never heard of it...Or the Bronte sisters. (shakes head in dismay)

9:09 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Wheeee you're back and with good "catch up" information. Ugh Jane Eyre, I disliked that book very much in school. I saw it was on and forced myself to watch a bit of it but alas I could not make it much further, instead I put in Pride and Prejudice (ha, I'm a creature of habit).

Hello friend, we need a girls' night out

7:05 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Deals - there's no way I could drag Brian to that. no way. But in your case, it might be an even trade.

Oh, but the Scottish scenery is LOVELY.
I'm ready to go back to Scotland. Like, TOMORROW.

Miss - yes, that's the other line of interesting people. Are all colleges like that, or just community colleges? Because there are some STRANGE ones out there.

HA HA HA. I lauged at your comment on the parentals. I bet she couldn't figure out whether it was "ok" to like it or not. *sigh*

7:11 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

awww, KT. You don't like Jane Eyre? I agree it's gloomy compared to P & P, but it's still a classic. Sometimes I get it mixed up with Poe's "Tell-Tale Heart". Something about the tower and something living in it I guess. Maybe I need to read both again.

Yes, we need to hang out. And do more shopping. I need to get back to Gap Body!

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update! Wow you've been busy and you'll continue with busyness!!!!

Bless you!

8:00 PM  
Blogger Lia said...

See what happens when you take off for so long? You have to write so much!

Glad everything is going well - school, work, play. "It all adds up to a berry nice day." (To quote Strawberry Shortcake. Remember her?)

5:37 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Jayleigh and Lia -

Wow, I feel like I haven't talked to y'all in like, FOREVER. And y'all are still faithfully coming to my site. Thank you!

Lia - of COURSE I remember Strawberry Shortcake. She was the only doll I liked. I still have the cookbook. My mom found it recently and I put it in my cedar chest. :)

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Umm...I have yet to see how you're confusing "tell-tale" with "jane". Didn't he bury the body under the floor? I could be wrong, but I read a book of Poe within the year, so I think I'm at least on the right track. And "jane" has that whole romantic subtext....Poe....not so much. :)

And I saw your Gap Body comment..go to Dillards...they're having an additional 30% off all their sale stuff...I stocked up on some cool underoos.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

ok, ok. I stand corrected. But still, SOMETHING living in the house that nobody knows about. And it's old. So there.

Thanks for the shopping tip.

I'm off to class. I just finished my paper. phew!

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home